Topic: How do you play  (Read 5512 times)

Ara D.

« on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
I'm curious as to how others play. I like to play nomadic hunters. I'll take as many animals as think I can process, sometimes more  ;), I prioritize hides and sell meat for furs and arrows as trade goods. I typically have two dogs I like small or regular and a bull when I can find one. I offten end up a couple of bulls, I'm a pack rat and the item limits get me. I tend to hunt mires and lichenous pine Forests from the overland map. I'll encounter the animal And when it zooms in I'll take as many bow shots as I can and send the dogs after them. How do you play? Do you Tavel on the overland map or more on the zoomed in map? I hear some people find drowned animals what were you doing when found them? Just talk more in depth about your play styles.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »
I'm curious as to how others play.

Unless I set out with a specific objective, set of rules etc. I usually am a hermit, making my home away from towns. I usually setup 2 ~ 3 trap fences in different areas about 1/3 day travel from home. I tend to use spike pit traps with my fences. I will build a routine and route so that I can check my traps every few days. Meat, skins and cords are my main pass times. I usually start with several shelters until I find the home spot. There I start with a shack w/fireplace and a spot to cook/sleep and be out of the weather. If time goes on I generally start expanding the building to be more comfortable, interior cellar, interior doors, bed, get dogs etc.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:53 AM »
My game experience is recent and short. I found that hunting without a dog is frequently a waste of time, so, I became a trapper and settled near some rapids.  I have two small trap fences near small lakes, a couple dozen snares, mostly near my settlement, 6 heavy deadfalls which I've found good for bears, elk, and even a wolf once. My fence/deadly stake traps around my settlement have seen but 3 small marauding animals so I guess the rapids is not favored by wildlife in general. I have 2 or 3 dogs, depending on njerp luck, and a bull that's usually carrying my best furs, hoping to find traders with something I can use, and heavy armor that I pop on when I see a fight coming. I've traveled a lot, visited all but the Seal and Njerp areas, and have acquired many prized tools and weapons. I've put up a 2nd settlement with a cabin and a barn on a small island but have not yet used it much. I'm presently midway through my 2nd winter.

shorun

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 06:59:03 PM »
In my current playtrough I have a homestead,
it has the main building in the center, wich is mostly storage now, to the east a farmfield with 2 extra cabins, one is a smokehouse in summer, sauna in winter and the second is a small cabin with bed and fireplace.
to the south exit of the main building is the sheep pen, 3 female sheep and one ram called "bo".

to the north exit there is the cow pen, with 2 female cows and one very large bull called "barry"

to hunt/guard, I have two dogs, a male and a female.

my activety depends mostly on the seasons.
in spring it is mostly planting crops, trapping small game.

when planting is done, it usually turns to summer, this is when I do most of my hunting, its the weather for it.

when harvest season comes, that is what I do. usually berries are also abundant so I collect those to and dry most for winter.

during the whole warm period, I milk those 3 sheep and 2 cows, every day. all of em. I store the milk in 4 large barrels I made and those are plenty to last till next year.

if my meat stores are high and I find myself bored, i'll go for a walk and collect whatever usefull stuff I find. usually mushrooms, stones, rocks, wood. big bull barry has no problem dragging a full tree trunk.

so I get meat in summer, plants in fall, stones and wood and milk the entire time. by winter i'll be sitting on a pile of raw materials, vegtables, healing herbs, hemp leaves, wood, etc etc.

so in winter. I process it all. I make linen from my hemp, I make clothes from my furs and trade them, I make new arrows from the bones I hunted, etc etc. allwhile sitting in front of the fireplace, eating goulash and berries, drinking milk. making arrows butt naked in the middle of winter.