Topic: Focus on Endgame Content  (Read 30064 times)

God

« on: May 23, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »
Once players supersede  the struggles for survival, the game starts to lack depth.
The progression of "quality of life" in game seems to end when players amass food, masterwork tools, and construct a settlement.

I would like to suggest more focus on the endgame content, such as marriages, starting your own "family", and acquiring higher-tier valuables.
I know that this has already been stashed on the huge backlog of developer goals, but I would like to emphasize on the importance of endgame content.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
... but I would like to emphasize on the importance of endgame content.

jmo
URW is a survival sim or an environmental sim, not a lifetime sim.
Amassing treasure and comparing your greatness to others in some measurable way is not part of this game.
No one cares if you amass a huge trove of plunder, no one cares how strong, powerful or clever you are, but you.

URW is about imagination and survival.. and surviving your imagination.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Lopo772

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:18 PM »
... but I would like to emphasize on the importance of endgame content.

jmo
URW is a survival sim or an environmental sim, not a lifetime sim.
Amassing treasure and comparing your greatness to others in some measurable way is not part of this game.
No one cares if you amass a huge trove of plunder, no one cares how strong, powerful or clever you are, but you.

URW is about imagination and survival.. and surviving your imagination.

URW is about what you make it about. Getting a bit condescending, are we?

Nevertheless, I agree with the suggestion. Once you have basic survival set down it'd be nice to have something to keep striving for.

Myself I have a woodland full of traps, sheep and cows in a pen, two fields about to be burned and a few nets stored away for when needed. The point is, once food and general survival isn't really an issue anymore, the sense of fullfillment really should have something to strive towards (i.e, marriage or w/e else suggested). The best for this might be to have something that's a constant struggle yet offers a chance for improvement.

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:27:32 PM »
Sorry for the tone, real or imagined in my reply.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

God

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
Thank you for your post, Lopo772.

As Lopo772 said, URW is what each player makes it out to be.
But much depth lies in player objectives and motives, beyond the mere continuation of the game.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:41:16 PM by God »

Labtop 215

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
I agree, the endgame is a little lacking.  There are still things you can do, but they mostly focus on maximizing your character's skills and completing the ritual list.

Paul

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
More interaction with npcs would be fun. The ability to join a village or even create your own village maybe? Fend off the occasional Njerpez raider, make sure everyone is fed by farming or hunting (npc hunters and farmers would help here), etc. Maybe marry and have children, then try to feed and protect those children. If you actually survive for like 12+ years you could bring your kids with you hunting and trapping and fishing and such.

Larger quests would be nice too. Things like coming up on a village that has been raided and optionally taking on a quest to rescue the survivors, requiring you to track down the njerpez camp(s) responsible.

Mati256

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »
Has anyone really managed to take a character to 12+ years? I have been playing the same character for almost two years or more IRL and he is only in his 4th winter...

JEB Davis

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »
Has anyone really managed to take a character to 12+ years? I have been playing the same character for almost two years or more IRL and he is only in his 4th winter...
Exactly the right question to ask!
Mine rarely make it through one year.

koteko

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

I think it's very common to either abandon old characters because endgame is boring, or to send them to a suicide mission of some sort. So the lack of current old characters isn't indicative of a lack of need for endgame features - but the other way around :)

srukle

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 04:32:52 AM »
I get bored at some point, and I often day dream while playing. The game itself isn't my goal -- it's the thoughts I have while experiencing the game.

I believe the game designer is creating a dialogue tree for the game. I'm not exactly sure how it works. Something to look forward to maybe. :)

koteko

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
I get bored at some point, and I often day dream while playing. The game itself isn't my goal -- it's the thoughts I have while experiencing the game.

I believe the game designer is creating a dialogue tree for the game. I'm not exactly sure how it works. Something to look forward to maybe. :)

There's already a dialogue tree :D including simple greetings, directions, quest, job offer and trading. What's missing is more "personal" interaction, maybe. Like, reputation with a specific person that unlocks different types of dialogue. That's very complex to do in an interesting way, though.

caius

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
I've decided my Kaumo character has a problem with the entire Owl tribe.  I'm going into villages one at a time and wiping them out and taking all their stuff/animals.  I deconstruct their buildings and then take time ferrying everything useful back to my base. 

It usually takes a while to lure villagers away, kill them one or two at a time, sneak away, heal and return.  I also occasionally spend time to re-stock weapons and armor before I raid another village.  It is going to take me quite some time to eradicate that culture. 

I could be doing this with the njerpez, but they are harder to raid in this way.  I'll probably eventually get to them.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 05:37:38 AM »
I imagine each village having a Hetman character which gives higher level quest for players to do, that are slightly harder than the quest given by ordinary people.

Then from there, every two or three villages have a head chief who could give players really hard quest, something like killing a Large Alpha Wolf killing local livestock, retrieving an ancient tribal weapon from a cave, and so on.

I have not played much of the game between work, get ready to move, and other things, but that is what I think will be cool.

Seddrik

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
Just some ideas.

Lost dog quest.  Requires tracking.  Reward... gratitude of a child in a village who lost it.

Village needs to contact someone in another village far away...

Village needs some specific resource supplied.

Conman - have a guy pretend to be a trader or a member of a village, offering a trade or something.  But he is really a conman, tricking you.  Little hints can be found by asking people of the village about him or some such.  His goal can vary - trick you out of supplies, locate your camp and steal, etc.

anything