Topic: Is this normal? - Culture lost  (Read 5348 times)

Shrimp

« on: September 03, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
Hello.

I've been playing Unreal World silently for a while now and everything has been perfect, but in my recent character I have noticed something strange. You see, I am Kaumo and live in the southern parts of Kaumo, I built my cabin there and everything. After traveling to a nearby town i noticed that a chunk of the cultural influence near my home was missing, as if some kind of cosmic beast chewed up on it and ripped off a part. I know i'm not mistaken and it's actually missing because the land goes "no man's land" mere squares from a Kaumo village. I also did some scouting in the lost area to see if something was out of place there but i couldn't find anything.

I just wanted to ask what could have happened and if i can restore the missing land. And if i can't restore it, will the land get chewed up even more? Hate to see the Kaumo shrinking since it's my home land.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:14:33 AM »
I have a guess

A band of Njerpez attacked the town/village that used to control this area for the Kaumo and killed everyone.
The attackers did not settle there or the zone would be purple/pink.

Or the big cosmic beast thingy.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Shrimp

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
In that case, shouldn't I be able to see some ruins or something? All that stretch of land seems normal. I am aware Njerpez might create war camps anywhere so i thought at first it was a Njerpez doing, but that land seems untouched, it's basically a no man's wilderness now. it's honestly quite odd.

I am actually starting to get superstitious here, beware of the cosmic beasts.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:39:27 PM »
The only Njerp warcamp I've ever seen is the one you start in with the escaping slave scenario. They are supposed to exist (Sami hasn't removed them), but I haven't seen anyone on the forum claim to have seen one since I started with UrW a number of years ago.

Culture control is based on villages of that culture exerting influence on the surroundings, and that village is typically close to the center of the region "block", although there may be several villages within a block, in particular clusters connected with roads.
There should be a village in the region that formerly belonged to your culture (or just inside the border of the current region, if the part lost isn't a whole "block", and that village ought to be abandoned if inside the region, or either abandoned or populated by "vagabonds" if outside.

There was a bug that caused depopulation of a village to sometimes remove the culture as well as a neighboring unvisited village, which then was replaced by vagabond settlement (one or a few tents and a small family), but I think that one was fixed (in my case it was my character's doing: trying to purge the world of Njerps, with the expected result: eventual death).

Anyway, I haven't seen it happen spontaneously, or heard any other case of it happening, but Njerp or beast attacks, and possibly robbers should be capable of doing it. I think you can be reasonably sure the biggest threat to your culture is your character, and if your character isn't bent in its destruction it should remain (although UrW currently doesn't have any repopulation mechanism, so every death is a permanent loss, which means gradual depopulation of villages over the very long term).

Shrimp

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
I am a peaceful being so no mass murdering on my side. None of the Kaumolais villages nearby seem affected or turned vagabond. And the newly no man's land is just wilderness and lakes like I said, I looked really carefully for something resembling ruins but there isn't anything at all. It actually makes me fear that my save will get corrupted or something because it's a really good roll.

I guess I will just keep playing and look for other abnormal stuff going on in my game. Just for reference though, I will leave an image of the Kaumo with and without cultural influence. I know it's probably hard, but you can probably see the "dents" in the influence going inland. My house was in a comfortable corner of the Kaumo before, but now it's barely hanging in by a small circle. Basically, all those lakes in the middle were supposed to be Kaumo before.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »
The only Njerp warcamp I've ever seen is the one you start in with the escaping slave scenario. They are supposed to exist (Sami hasn't removed them), but I haven't seen anyone on the forum claim to have seen one since I started with UrW a number of years ago.

Culture control is based on villages of that culture exerting influence on the surroundings, and that village is typically close to the center of the region "block", although there may be several villages within a block, in particular clusters connected with roads.
There should be a village in the region that formerly belonged to your culture (or just inside the border of the current region, if the part lost isn't a whole "block", and that village ought to be abandoned if inside the region, or either abandoned or populated by "vagabonds" if outside.

There was a bug that caused depopulation of a village to sometimes remove the culture as well as a neighboring unvisited village, which then was replaced by vagabond settlement (one or a few tents and a small family), but I think that one was fixed (in my case it was my character's doing: trying to purge the world of Njerps, with the expected result: eventual death).

Anyway, I haven't seen it happen spontaneously, or heard any other case of it happening, but Njerp or beast attacks, and possibly robbers should be capable of doing it. I think you can be reasonably sure the biggest threat to your culture is your character, and if your character isn't bent in its destruction it should remain (although UrW currently doesn't have any repopulation mechanism, so every death is a permanent loss, which means gradual depopulation of villages over the very long term).
I found a njerpez warcamp with a character recently, I think when the game was in 3.50.  It was based on an island in the middle of a long river, actually quite near my settlement, in No-Man's-Land in the south eastern region.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 11:18:35 PM »
Thanks for that report, Dungeon Smash.