Topic: Migration?  (Read 16238 times)

JEB Davis

« on: April 25, 2017, 05:08:15 AM »
What will be migrated from the old forum to the new one?

Is this something done as a batch, or selectively, or what?

There is a lot of priceless content that should not be lost.

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
Since the old forums are hosted on a site funded by advertisements, I think they will remain there for archival reasons, so no old contet will be lost in the foreseeable future.

We've been thinking about what would need to be migrated, and how to best handle it. And settled for the most simple solution: A fresh start  :)

Selected posts, like guides and tutorials, can be manually copypasted to the new forums.

UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Blxz

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 02:09:43 AM »
So ad free from here on out? I do like the sound of that. Isn't that likely to be some sort of a financial burden though?

In an unrelated note, how much do forums like this cost to run anyway? Is there a ballpark figure?

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
So ad free from here on out? I do like the sound of that. Isn't that likely to be some sort of a financial burden though?

In an unrelated note, how much do forums like this cost to run anyway? Is there a ballpark figure?

Yes, ad free we'll be. It's not super expensive. The forums engine itself is free and unrealworld.fi web services all together (including databases and stuff for forums) are
currently around 150 USD per year.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JT2

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 01:59:56 PM »
You should re-think the ad-free forums.

Spam as much ads as you want! I personally don't acre whether there are ads, and why not get another revenue source to support URW?

Phantasm

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:59:35 AM »
You should re-think the ad-free forums.

Spam as much ads as you want! I personally don't acre whether there are ads, and why not get another revenue source to support URW?
The forum itself doesn't exactly cost like anything to host. Since the hosting is needed anyway for the main website of the game etc. And this does also bring many benefits with better forum software. And none of the add revenue on the old forum comes back to fund URW as all of it is taken by the hoster.

StefanPravda

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
You should not hold back on ads, but targeted ads. Sell other games, maybe some affiliate links to places like g2play, g2a or whatever. Survival equipment maybe. And make a sub-forum for it, filled with your videos, as the one where you guys build a cabin, or where Erkka dances on the roof of a house :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:00:23 PM by StefanPravda »