Topic: Extreme Slowdowns, still very much a problem :(  (Read 20592 times)

Faatal

« on: March 25, 2018, 01:48:26 AM »
Howdy,

I am running urw 3.50 b2 on win 10. I have fairly cutting edge hardware. i5, nvidia 1070, etc. I am also running the steam version of the game. When zooming in and out of the terrain and world maps, the loading goes VERY slowly. There is also lag when fading in and out of sleep. Tasks take far to long to complete (cutting down a tree etc.). Alt- tabbing seems to have some sort of effect on the framerate. I am running several simple item mods of my own design as well as caethans mod. If you need any other info let me know.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:30:31 AM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Dying hard disk is something that might cause slowdowns, or getting low on disk space. In any case these are most often system related things, but we can confirm that pretty easily if you just send the savegame (or download link to) so that I can try it out on my end.

Did it start just recently? Does it happen with only one character, or all of them?
You could also try running urw.exe outside of Steam client to rule it if it's the Windows<>Steam Client interaction slowing things down.

- Sami | UnReal World creator

Faatal

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am away from my PC for the next day or so. But I will get back to you with answers soon.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 08:33:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am away from my PC for the next day or so. But I will get back to you with answers soon.

Okay, take your time, no hurries on my end ;)

Faatal

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »
@Sami I can confirm that it is not a disk problem. It also does not appear to be a steam client interaction. Both of these test positively. I havent played the game recently, so it started as soon as I downloaded the new version. It also appears to happen with all characters. By "save game" do you mean the character file titled the character's name?

PALU

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:52 AM »
Yes, it's the character folder that contains/is the save, so that's what needs to be zipped up.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
Yes, it's the character folder that contains/is the save, so that's what needs to be zipped up.

Alright, so zip it up and e-mail over to me, or provide a download link, and I'll test. Also is it so that it slows down pretty much every time you zoom in / out, or go to sleep? Just figuring out how easy it might be to reproduce.

Faatal

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:06:37 AM »
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09317369106248834630

there you are, yes it happens every time I zoom in or out.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09317369106248834630

there you are, yes it happens every time I zoom in or out.

Tried it quickly and no slowdowns on my end. The trial differences are that I'm not using any mods and tried this outside of Steam client. However, mods can't interfere to mere zooming in out speed so that can be ignored. Maybe you could also try running the game executable outside Steam client to make sure is not about that. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else than some crazy hard disk / storage space problems/lagging here.

(Maybe somebody else can also like to double check?)

Privateer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 10:02:53 PM »
downloaded and ran in standalone 3.50b2 windows 10.
I don't se any issue; zooming in, zooming out, or moving then zooming in/out

no other suggestion though.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
Anti virus playing tricks either hogging the memory/disk, or deciding to somehow "verify" everything UrW does? Windows indexing?

Faatal

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »
It's not an AV and there is no reason it would be windows indexing. Everything else on the system runs fine.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 06:04:24 PM »
It's not an AV and there is no reason it would be windows indexing. Everything else on the system runs fine.

Quite very odd. And you've tried with new characters, and outside Steam client as well. Some issues with Win10 and Steam in general are known.
And if you don't have UnReal World installed on some completely different disk or storage than everything else in your system then it can't be about the dying/laggy storage either.

Could there be any critical OS or video card drivers pending that would be good to install?
Just out of curiosity you could try running urw.exe in Compatibility mode. (Right click for settings and set compatibility check box on)

Faatal

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »
I will try to run it in compatibility mode. All drivers are up to date.

Faatal

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 04:37:45 AM »
I want to say that this cleared itself up. Not sure what the issue was, had a bunch of stuff going on irl and just forgot about this thread. I guess one the intermediate updates fixed the problem.

anything