Topic: Is it better to cover largest body parts first for warmth and protection  (Read 742 times)

Vahvapito

« on: February 05, 2024, 01:19:18 PM »
Basically, are larger body parts (like chest) more likely to get hit in combat than small body parts (like groin). If I have to choose, should I use my armor on larger parts or does it matter?

For example, Cuirass and belt both cover two body parts (chest and waist by cuirass, hips and groin by belt) but are they equally protective? Common sense says I should obviously choose the cuirass to protect larger area but I dont know if the game system reflects this

Similarly, are larger body parts more significant for warmth, or is warmth based on number of covered body parts only?

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:58:07 PM »
I think larger body parts are more important but for warmth, I'd make mittens even out of your only shirt -- you will still get some benefit from the shirt because not all the fabric is used, and if your hands get too badly frostbitten, you won't be able to use tools or hold weapons and that can make it very hard to survive until they heal

Matti-patti

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 01:14:02 AM »
At least in the current edition of Harnmaster normal blow has 26% of hitting chest or abdomen but only 9% chance of hitting hip or groin. The URW system is a bit different, but I doubt it's too different. In addition abdomen is a weak spot more vulnerable to mortal wounds than most body parts (which, based on personal experience, seems true in URW as well). Plus hip and groin are likely to have good protection anyway since both torso and leg pieces tend to double down on it (cuirass being a rare exception).

For warmth I do know that your hands and feet are the first thing to freeze given equal warmth coverage. Since that's realistic (blood being diverted from extremities to vital functions) I'd expect the rest of the system to not be too far out of line. I suppose testing how far you can get while neglecting to stack clothing to areas like knees, elbows and shoulders would be interesting. E.g. woollen dress, linen dress, nettle cloak and furs for the extremities, I do suspect it will have worse result than switching one of the dresses for an undershirt would as the game does seem to take some issue with entirely unclothed body parts.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 01:20:49 AM by Matti-patti »

Vahvapito

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 11:36:26 AM »
Thanks for replies. This is good because it means armor weight and armor "importance"  seem to correspond pretty well. For example cuirass weighs a lot and a belt very little but cuirass is more likely hit.

It also means things like iron kneecops and coudes might be more trouble than they are worth, unless you want to go for a full suit.

On warmth issue, I feel like some exposed body parts are not an issue if you can keep yourself warm enough. I have not tested this much but I think most of the time I dont get frost bite if character is warm even with some exposed parts, especially face is often exposed. Im still wondering if protecting larger core parts warms you more than covering small extremities

anything