Topic: Please make it easier to find arrows that missed your target  (Read 3376 times)

Aubble

« on: June 22, 2023, 12:21:57 AM »
Hello,

I have a hopefully simple suggestion regarding hunting with bows/crossbows and perhaps even other thrown objects.

While hunting with bows and crossbows, it is rather irritating to have to try and find arrows that missed my prey and ended up being shot somewhere off-screen, as they are often impossible to find; they not only travel far and in a nearly random direction but they are also very difficult to spot if they end up hiding behind a tree in a forest.

Considering how it can be rather expensive to reacquire arrows that are lost, I am asking for some possible improvement to be made to allow players to more easily find their errant arrows.

I have two ideas in mind, but I'm sure other options exist:

Idea #1: Highlight the trajectory and/or the landing position of arrows so players can locate them more easily. While this may reduce realism, I feel that it is a necessary change.

Idea #2: Don't let arrows travel further than the current zoom level of the map.

I really hope that this suggestion will be seriously considered! Thank you!

Aubrey Zeh
Photo Contributor

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 01:52:31 AM »
Blunt arrows since 3.80 have lot less range than before.
And yes, sometimes shooting on flat land, it’s pretty difficult to see how the arrow might fly 150-300m (165-330 yards). That’s some serious upward angle shot.

Realistically though, losing arrows is more than likely on any missed shot. I’ve had arrows disappear in undergrowth, push through a rotten stump with nothing visible of the arrow. Just saw it hit, had to dig and tear in to the stump to find the arrow.

There’s an alternative solution for finding arrows hiding: mod to add corner brackets on the arrows’ graphics. Visible arrows by @Galgana

PALU

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
I've modified the colors of my arrows and javelins to an orangeish color to make them easier to spot.

Matti-patti

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 10:13:16 AM »
Yeah this is especially case of the arrow icon/tile blending in so well with the pines and whatnot. Even the vanilla bone tipped arrows are much easier to spot due to the white head.

anything