Topic: Working with water in winter  (Read 3323 times)

Bert Preast

« on: May 04, 2023, 07:16:56 PM »
Anyone who has had to work with water in cold climes will know that it's a bit of a bitch.

I suggest that tasks involving water that are not performed in a cabin should make one quite a bit colder and greatly increase the risk of frostbitten hands.  This would add a bit of value to containers where the player has access to a cabin, and force players cleaning or rinsing hides outdoors in winter to make a fire next to them in order to avoid frostbite.

If implemented; it may be an idea to give a player an idea of how long a task is going to take in the message box before he starts, so he has an idea of how big a fire he needs to make.  Actually this should be done anyway, I presume it's easy to code and with some mods I forget if a task will take half an hour or six hours  :D   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 03:58:26 PM by Bert Preast »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 10:14:39 PM »
Part of this is already on the dev.plans under the Items and crafting section:
Continue crafting after cancelling the process; thus making the selection of your working hours and periods completely free

Then getting a huge fire wouldn't be as much needed, as one could always cancel, add fuel, eat and drink, then resume task.

But it'd be nice quality-of-life improvement to give a player a guess what the character thinks the job might take. Lower skills should not just take longer, but also give the estimates really far off the mark at times. i.e. Novice builder might give feedback that section of a wall should take 4 hours. But could take him/her 12h to complete. Grandmaster Builder might estimate it'll take 5h and then complete the task in 4h45min - 5h15min

Bert Preast

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 10:25:55 PM »
Agreed, though I think the grandmaster should be bang on with his estimate of time taken.

And yes; more pausing tasks to eat and warm up would be an immersive thing, and so a good thing.

PALU

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
Even a grandmaster will have a variability in how long things take. There are always room for unforeseen circumstances, such as a pesky wasp buzzing about, a misplaced tool, a sudden urge to relieve yourself, hidden defects in the materials, etc. There's also the possibility that the spirits are helpful so everything go perfectly, with no need to adjust anything after the initial placement, etc.