Topic: Birch-bark strip comes out in the WEAPON category  (Read 6258 times)

Brygun

« on: May 04, 2023, 08:09:00 AM »
Apparently the Birch is more dangerous than we though.

In BAC it is allowed to gather a whole tree of birch bark at once after felling the birch. Then it is to be processed by big things by the pound but other takes making it into strips. The same strips that would have been done when the tree was standing.

I got most of this working well. However, its appearing in the category of WEAPON like might a rock or axe. It should in Timber so that part is a bug.

>>>

.Birch-bark strip. "Birch-bark strip" [phys:hands,one-armed]   *HIDEWORKING* /10m/ |-2| [assist:1]
{*Birch-bark*}   #1# [remove] '+source like a roll'
{Knife}
[LENGTH:75]
[MATERIAL:birch-bark]
// oddly default category is weapon

>>>

I also tried this variant hoping to move it to Timber but that didn't work. Is CATEGORY an allowed mod verb?

.Birch-bark strip. "Birch-bark strip" [phys:hands,one-armed]   *HIDEWORKING* /10m/ |-2| [assist:1]
{*Birch-bark*}   #1# [remove] '+source like a roll'
{Knife}
[LENGTH:75]
[MATERIAL:birch-bark]
[CATEGORY:Timber]
// oddly default category is weapon
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:04:44 PM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 08:11:27 AM »
When wielded it gets the inventory graphic of what appears to be "Rock"

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 09:58:04 PM »
Shouldn't the item be under
submenu_start[lumber]
--
submenu_end[lumber]?
I've never done Timber modding, so there's that.

Noy sure why you have it use HIDEWORKING vs TIMBERCRAFT or CARPENTRY?
Out of curiosity, I have to ask: you likely can harvest unlimited birch-bark from any trunk, be it birch or pine? I don't think there's UX visible tags for peeled birch trunk. Only tags for trunks, to my knowledge, are felled in rain yes/no.

Edit: just checked, the subcategory is lumber, not timber. At least that's where stakes and staff are in the diy_glossary.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:02:30 PM by JP_Finn »

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:27:28 AM »
The particular discovery of bug came from BAC simulates felling a birch tree and taking all the bark off at once.

Originally this was for my Canadian minded desire to have birch bark canoes to which Saami pointed out the Finland trees aren't the right type. Still to do fulfill my Canadian style dream I left getting the large birch in.

Pre updates it was handy to also do this to have a large lump of birch bark to process later. Like as you need baskets or just form the safety of your cabin.

In the update that brought the vanilla birch bark strips the whole-tree-harvest wasn't part of the plan.

Thus I put in the mod pulling off vanilla strips from the out of place whole bark to find it became a weapon with a rock.

ITs weird that it functions in vanilla birch bark by length recipes fine

One suspects maybe I didnt get the right base object or the base object coding is confused somehow.

Maybe if Saami/Erkka can post what they have the birch-bark strip base object we can test that.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
There's been many changed in regards to peeling bark and bark items over the past versions.

Firstly, there is no base object called "Birch-bark strip" but this item is created on the fly when using the peeling game mechanics (to a birch tree).
So, that's why the modding code in question fails in the first place.

However, if you want to use sheets of bark to something there's hope. The bark is peeled in sheets from rowan and alder trees. Upon peeling these time of trees you
get  eg. "sheet of alder bark". Again, there's no such base object but it's created on the fly when using the peeling game mechanics (to a alder or rowan tree).
The sheets obtained this way can be naturally used in modding.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Galgana

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 05:32:49 PM »
Did you try base object "Birch-bark rope" ?

Brygun

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 06:48:20 AM »
Context is a bulk harvest of a bark. Felling the tree to remove the entire ~30-40 lbs of bark at once rather than peeling it bit by bit.

Various reasons for doing that with chief among them is to get a large load when you can get the bark in summer. Then in the winter when stuck in cabins to use it for various crafts converting the 10s of pounds into strips etc. 

I have it working well enough aside from the weapon category thing.