Topic: Crash to desktop  (Read 4062 times)

Tinker

« on: April 11, 2023, 12:18:15 PM »
A couple of years ago I posted a bug report about milkweed causing a crash to desktop, after some discussions and tests it was marked as not a bug as it seemed to stop happening. It seems it was  a linux problem and only affected my install.

Around the time of the last update fix it started happening again, this could be a coincidence or that I only started harvesting milkweed then. I can pick young leaves, I can harvest plants and thresh them without picking the plant up, if I have plants in my inventory then opening the inventory to drop them causes a ctd.

I was not going to report it again as it seems a specific problem with just my install and I have a work around to prevent the ctd, but this week a user reported a bug in BAC that seemed similar. When he tried to create a dry quarter log the system suffered a cstd, he is also on linux. It seems there is a limit to the length of filenames in linux and when the mod tried to add ww-dry_lb_wood.png it crashed. It was suggested that gfx names needed to be less than 10 characters andshortening the name of the file and the recipe solved the problem. I wondered if the same thing was causing thye milkweed problem.

I started urw from a terminal and tried the dry log recipe and the terminal showed

*** buffer overflow detected ***: terminated
/usr/bin/urw: line 170: 180287 Aborted                 (core dumped)

I then tried opening my inventory with a milkweed plant in it and got

/usr/bin/urw: line 170: 161937 Aborted                 (core dumped)

This seems to imply the problems are similar but the milkweed image. flo-milkweed.png, is the same length as several other plants like flo-lakereed.png which work as expected. Another difference between the two cases is the dry log fails when trying to add the item in the world as a being prepared object, the milkweeds are displayed correctly in the world just fail when trying to display the image in the inventory screen.

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 08:45:27 PM »
For Unix clients > graphic file names from MODS will cause crashing when the recipe is run.

It's a problem with the mod not the base game.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 09:50:15 PM »
But the milkweed problem is from game recipes, I have no mod that alters milkweed plants, apart from one I added to convert plants to roots and leaves if I pick up a plant.

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 07:20:13 AM »
But the milkweed problem is from game recipes, I have no mod that alters milkweed plants, apart from one I added to convert plants to roots and leaves if I pick up a plant.
Can you show the code for this mod?

Tinker

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 10:05:56 AM »
Just a simple couple of lines.

.milkweed root. [patch:5] *AGRICULTURE* [noquality] /1/ [effort:1] [phys:hands]
{milkweed}

.milkweed leaves. [patch:5]  *AGRICULTURE* [noquality] /1/ [effort:1] [phys:hands]
{milkweed} [patchwise] [remove]       

Due to the limitations of modding this needs to be a two step process, first you extract root from up to 5 milkweeds, then the leaves and remove the plants.

It really would be nice if mods could produce more than one item at a time.

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 02:03:31 PM »
Still occurs with 3.80.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 09:29:16 AM »
Tried with 3.80 on Ubuntu and didn't crash for me. Hmm. Have you tried this code alone, with no other file editing in place? Does it still crash?

Just curious, why do you want have it like this when there's proper game option for threshing the milkweed parts which does it all at once?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Tinker

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
I will try again to use the new harvest and thresh system, I am certain that this crashes the system just as any case where I open an inventory with milkweed plants in it.

Tinker

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 11:40:30 AM »
Alt a i to harvest and pick places the milkweeds in my inventory and trying to drop them to thresh causes ctd.
Harvest and thresh without picking them up works OK. The code posted above is something I use if I pick up some milkweeds by mistake, it removes them from my inventory without opening the inventory.
 I am not sure what you mean by 'Have you tried this code alone, with no other file editing in place? '

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 11:59:07 AM »
Alt a i to harvest and pick places the milkweeds in my inventory and trying to drop them to thresh causes ctd.
Harvest and thresh without picking them up works OK. The code posted above is something I use if I pick up some milkweeds by mistake, it removes them from my inventory without opening the inventory.
 I am not sure what you mean by 'Have you tried this code alone, with no other file editing in place? '

Thanks for the follow-up. I'll continue to see if I can find the cause.
With "no other file editing..." I meant that are no (burden of) any mods in use upon testing the issue.
But now I get that the issue persists for you with vanilla game too, so it's not that.

So, it's about milkweed itself, and not the modding.
A very puzzling case. And it happens always, even if the character wouldn't have anything else in their inventory? (Trying to rule out possible maxed/heavy inventory interferences).

Tinker

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 12:09:29 PM »
It does only seem to apply only to milkweed plants, I have not tried yet with an empty inventory but the last attempt was a new game with only startup items.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 07:03:12 PM »
Tried experimenting a bit more, on Ubuntu, and can't reproduce nor really figure out what's causing the crash on your end.
Too long graphic filenames or item name description entries surely can cause overflows, which may require to crashes, but the milkweed graphics filename should be within the limits.

If you want to experiment, you may try to modify milkweed properties in flora file replacing eg. its graphics tile with some other plants graphics tile, and confirm if it is or is not about the filename. For the best results it's then advisable to create a new character to test if the changes have cleared the issue or not.

I'll try to double check the code when I've got time.
And now, if anybody else out there has the same issue, please pitch in.

Tinker

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »
I tried changing the gfx file and also creating a new plant using the milkweed data both with the milkweed gfx and a different one. I n alls cases I get a ctd after character creatuin, before the scene loads.

/usr/bin/urw: line 178: 135245 Aborted                 (core dumped)