Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.72.2] Animals drowning when tied to a tree next to water  (Read 6973 times)

Bert Preast

« on: February 22, 2023, 12:39:38 AM »
I was attacking a Njerp village, and once I had done for most of them I tied my eight dog meatshield to a tree next to four water tiles in an open mire.  When I came back from clearing the village around an hour later, four of my dogs had drowned.  It seems the dogs left on water tiles drowned, even though many dogs can occupy a single tile if need be.  They preferred to sink gloriously into the swamp than snuggle up. 

Seems a little harsh  :'(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 05:58:27 PM by Sami »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »
Seems all too harsh! The good news is that I managed to reproduce it.

I tied one dog to a tree at open mire, with open water next to it. I observed the dog wading in there normally, with no ill effects.
Then zoomed-out, waited for some time, and returned - and the dog had drowned. So it seems the idle-time checks, when the player is not on the map,
are to blame for the creature drowning. Now this is likely a same mechanic that makes the NPCs still sometimes to drown in village ponds.
Chances to fix this for both the dogs and NPCs are now very good.

Sorry for your loss, thanks for the report.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 05:57:59 PM »
Alright, we found the cause!
The issue was a result of creature body temperature calculations not properly taking into account the creature's true chances of staying out of the water, and even wading in the cold water gradually kept lowering their body temperature until hypothermia was reached which then lead to drowning.

It's fixed now, and there's a good chance that the issue of NPCs drowning in village puddles has been of the same origin.

Fixed - persists in 3.72.2

Aricitic

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 01:35:25 AM »
I regret to inform you that this is not exactly fixed.
I was at a small lake shortly before winter when the water ices over but doesn't freeze solid.
My dog was -apparently- on the other side of the lake when I called him back to me. I accidentally exited the map and when I came back he was dead in the middle of the lake.

Please note, I didn't notice the 'tied to a tree' part of the post's header. nor the 'persists' part. Still, thought I should mention the drowning.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 01:36:58 AM by Aricitic »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:07 PM »
I regret to inform you that this is not exactly fixed.
I was at a small lake shortly before winter when the water ices over but doesn't freeze solid.
My dog was -apparently- on the other side of the lake when I called him back to me. I accidentally exited the map and when I came back he was dead in the middle of the lake.

Please note, I didn't notice the 'tied to a tree' part of the post's header. nor the 'persists' part. Still, thought I should mention the drowning.

Depending on the water temperature the dog actually could have died to a hypothermia too, it it was close to freezing conditions. Savegame right after the incident could have helped to make sure what might have happened.