Topic: Improve stone tools a little  (Read 1926 times)

Bert Preast

« on: January 03, 2023, 07:45:01 PM »
I am currently playing as a neolithic hunter in the far north east, using only stone tools.  It looks like despite my 98% hideworking skill, the best I can get is a harsh fur or leather.

I understand that the stone knife and axe are supposed to be used in only the most desperate situations; but it would be nice to see them upgraded, or even a "knapped stone" version of each - much harder to make but almost as good as their metal counterparts.

Here's a recent paper on stone tools in neolithic Finland, if anyone is interested!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280568428_Subneolithic_bifaces_and_flint_assemblages_in_Finland_Outlining_the_history_of_research_and_future_questions_OPIA_33

EDIT:  I forgot to mention the enormous difference between butchering with a stone knife as opposed to any metal knife.  I admit to not having done the sums, but it seems a stone knife gets you less than a quarter of the yield you get with metal knives.  Make the stone knife butchery yield less and take longer, yes - but surely not by such a drastic amount?

EDIT 2:  The disparity is even more pronounced chopping firewood with a stone axe.  With Timbercraft skill at 92%, it takes over eight hours to make around 22 firewood from a block.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 12:14:42 AM by Bert Preast »