Topic: Rattle of death  (Read 4333 times)

JP_Finn

« on: July 15, 2022, 11:46:08 PM »
Got to say, learnt something new today. There's rattle of death, although there's no rattlesnakes in the North.

And the hare got away.

Also, Rattle of Death would be amazing name for a (death/black) metal band.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »
It's been present for years. Caused by something getting killed by another animal, so if you're desperate for meat you may want to try to find it to steal the leftovers (but you should probably reconsider is the killer is a large predator rather than a bird or fox...).

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
When birds kill another bird or a hare, character hears a thud. That must over-ride the rattle of death prompt.

My characters tend to head towards bears and gluttons. Lynxes if properly equipped. And generally stay back from wolves. (Make some traps for them instead)

PALU

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 08:28:18 PM »
I've made use of death rattles and thuds with fresh characters where I've used it to put something into an empty belly. Needless to say, such characters aren't equipped to deal with anything that isn't scared away.

I was sure about the thud from bird vs bird, but less so when a bird targets a mammal, but it may well be true that bird attacker => thud regardless of what the target is.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 02:15:14 AM »
They’re handy prompts. I’ve also utilized predator treed squirrels to walk to the aggroing predator, and then whack them on the noggin. Then get the squirrel in a tree. Usually a fox, but at least once got a glutton like that.

Which reminds me to write a suggestion to amend weasel, pine-marten… lynx, bear (maybe others I forget about) behavior to climb in to trees to escape and to go to try to kill roosting birds and get squirrels.
Also mangled birds should still yield feathers, even if the skin itself is useless.

anything