Topic: Windows install problems  (Read 4310 times)

Tinker

« on: July 09, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »
I have not used windows for over 20 years but I need to now to solve an urw savefile problem.

I was player an independent survivalist in which I avoid all contact with other people. This means taking special care not to get injured until I can cure things, one part of this is avoiding any chance of eating anything that might be poisonous, so I only pick mushrooms that I know are safe. One day I woke up ready to spend the day grinding flour to last the winter and from nowhere I had a deadly poison in me, I had not eaten anything poisonous so assumed this might be some sort of bug. T easiest way to fix this was perhaps nights character editor, but that will only work on windows.

I tried running urw on wine but it fails to start with no useful error message. Searching around a dump I found a system that I got working, it had windows 7 on it, as well as a lot of personal stuff like bank logins for the old owner. urw would not install due to a missing dll. api-ms-win-crt-runtime, I tried installing this from several sites but get the message that win7 needs updating but also that it cannot be updated as it no longer supported. I can see there might also be a problem getting .net installed as well.

I have seen when searching here that people are running urw on xp but it seems you cannot install on older versions. Does anyone know what is the oldest windows version you can install urw and character editor on?

JP_Finn

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 09:15:35 PM »
There are 2/3 sources of Deadly poison:
non-blanched black ear mushrooms. Sand mushrooms. Snakes.
Snakes are possibly deadly, not always.
Plants with “remove toxins” help, shaman/sage treatments can cure even sand mushroom poisoning. But that doesn’t work for your hermit.

I’ll move this thread to General as Night’s editors is a mod and WINe is 3rd party.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:51:05 AM »
Well this is probably a bug as it is not possible to install urw on windows 7 or earlier, bur in general works if I can rescue my save.

As I do not even pick unknown mushrooms I cannot eat them by mistake, I did kill a snake a few weeks earlier but cooked and ate it then, if the meat was poisonous I would think it would have manifested itself fairly quickly. I am assuming the waking up with deadly poisoning is at least a glitch if not a bug, but possibly untraceable. I have been taking all sorts of remove toxins plants, raw or in teas but poisoning gets about 10 points worse every day, I would be dead before I got close to finding a shaman.

Looks like months of work will be lost, this time not due to my stupidity.

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Well this is probably a bug as it is not possible to install urw on windows 7 or earlier

To me it seems that this is something like a borderline case; if Microsoft no longer supports win7, then is it our bug if it is not easy to install all the required dlls?

But what comes to your savefile, if you have trouble installing the Nights character editor, then could you ask the community if there is someone with the editor installed who could fix the savefile for you?
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 06:33:41 PM »
I have not used windows for over 20 years but <snip>

Based on 0, api-ms-win-crt-runtime is part of the Microsoft software package 'Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015'.
Have you tried installing that package to overcome the lack of .dll issue, using link 1 below or another official Microsoft website?

0 https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0-dll-missing-error-solved/
1 https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »
Thanks that solved that problem now to get nights mod to work.

I remember now why I ditched windows decades ago.

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 01:15:42 AM »
Thanks that solved that problem now to get nights mod to work.<snip>
Glad to hear that.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.