Topic: Tracking timing of fishing nets?  (Read 2750 times)

esquilax

« on: April 25, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
In older versions, I used  the character log (Shift+L) to check when I had put nets in the water, so that I could check them after 24 hours have passed.  If placed in early morning on the 6th, I could check the morning of the 7th, etc.

Since the character log got removed, I don't appear to have an easy way to track that.  Is there an alternate way to check when I put the nets in / if the nets are ready, besides pulling them up and resetting the timer?

Galgana

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 08:38:25 PM »
If you don't want to use an external tool (for example, my adventuring log spreadsheet), you can mod in a DIY recipe with a \24h\ prep time.
Code: [Select]
.Fisher's net sense. "Hunting Horn" *FISHING* /1/ \24h\ [noquality] |-2|
{Branch} [remove] '+to cast shadow'
{Rock} [remove] '+to mark time'
[PRICE:0]
The object will be placed on the ground and you won't be able to pick it up until it's ready.
You can imagine this recipe to produce something like a sundial on the cheap.

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 04:41:05 AM »
In older versions, I used  the character log (Shift+L) to check when I had put nets in the water, so that I could check them after 24 hours have passed.  If placed in early morning on the 6th, I could check the morning of the 7th, etc.

Since the character log got removed, I don't appear to have an easy way to track that.  Is there an alternate way to check when I put the nets in / if the nets are ready, besides pulling them up and resetting the timer?

You can still do something similar to determine whether it is good time to check your fishing net(s) but now with a little more manual effort, for example:
  • In the zoomed in map right after dropping net(s) look at your screen & make a mental note of TIME OF DAY value (e.g.: 'Early morning').
  • Press SHIFT+P (opens 'Character Info' screen) & make a note of DAYS ALIVE numeric value (e.g.: "You are 16 winters old, and have lived 123 days of adventuring life.") then close that screen with ESC.
  • With this information in hand ('net set Early Morning on Day 123'), press v (opens Message Log).
  • Press ENTER (initiates the 'Enter a note to log' function).
  • Enter a message that will be committed to the SAVEGAME Message Log file e.g.: 'dn123em' = '(D)ropped (N)et on day (123) during (E)arly (M)orning'.
     Note: later, you may scroll up/down in this v screen, looking for this message therefore after typing the value such as 'dn123em', also placing some extra characters (something like 888888888888) would make that line stand out and thus much easier to find.
  • Do other stuff to pass time.
  • Finally, the next time you feel in doubt ('is it time to pick up the net(s) now?'), simply hit v and search in Message Log the last dnXXXX value (PageUp/PageDown keys) and then make a quick determination whether it is time yet to retrieve the net.
It is a lot to explain step by step but once you get used to it, it should probably take 5-10 seconds to add an entry.

Bonus: If you consistently follow a particular convention when entering your Message (such as the example above 'dnXXXzz') then it would be easy to programmatically find those characters in message log file (UrW_dir\SAVEGAMEDIR\msglog.txt) from outside the game. This can be done while game is running on the second screen or via ALT+TAB window switch.

Search & Display Suggestion #1: Here is one primitive example on Windows, using Command Prompt, for a UrW character named TEPU:
Code: [Select]
C:\>TYPE c:\Steam\steamapps\common\UnRealWorld\TEPU\msglog.txt | FINDSTR /C:"-- dn"
(600060):58g6:["]{04EC0530}      | -- dn102lm 888888888888
(600060):58g7:["]{04F50524}      | -- dn117n 888888888888
(600060):58gh:["]{04EC0531}      | -- dn123em 888888888888

Search & Display Suggestion #2: There are also software tools that can continuously display the bottom of a continuously updated text file (such as the msglog.txt), that can even highlight some lines based on matching keywords.
Linux & Mac has tail utility distributed with the O/S.
Windows has PowerShell which has tail functionality but there is also free software options.
In the context of the example above, since we know all messages we enter begin with "| -- " prefix (by UrW) and then our TEXT is appended to the line, and since we know all our fishing text entries (based on the example convention) will consistently begin with 'dn', we can simply search for or highlight "| -- dn". It should then show us a nice and easy display, such as:

The free software in the screenshot is SnakeTail https://github.com/snakefoot/snaketail-net

In summary, using this procedure you can get a similar reference point and I think it is better than no-information at all.
Having said that opening a log file & entering a message does break the game flow, on my mind, it is not ideal.
It would be great if devs did some QoL improvement here, for example when player hovers the mouse over map-net-icon, a pop-up single line of text could say: "You remember you set that net yesterday early morning".

Edit: typo
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.