Topic: UnReal World Mod Experiment  (Read 17254 times)

Weathereye

« on: May 31, 2017, 01:15:17 AM »
UnReal World Mod Loader

This is a modding tool which aims to extend the current game modding capabilities and make using and making mods easier, especially several mods at a time while leaving the game folder pristine which means no custom edits are lost when the game is updated.

Current stage is proof of concept however the tool is nearly fully featured and ready to be used.

Features for users
Simple installation of mods
Enable and disable mods quickly and easily
Set mods priority (load order)
Keep mods in separate folders
Mod files are cached and loaded faster
Changing mod configuration and editing mod files without restarting the game

Features for developers
Override parts of vanilla files or files from other mods
Add custom in game encyclopedia pages (automatically linked to the START page)
Automatic crafting menu shortcut key conflict resolution (coming soon)

Requirements
Windows 7 or newer
.NET Framework 4.5.2

Usage
It's recommended to make a new installation of the game so you can transfer your mods and saves. Then extract the zip file into your pristine game folder.

To add a mod create a subfolder in the mods folder, and in the subfolder create another folder called 'files'. Mods files go to the 'files' folder. The following directory tree  indicates an example mod structure.

Mods/
    My mod/
        files/
            truetile/
                some-tile.png
            messages/
                urw_chat.txt
            diy_mystuff.txt
            game.nfo
        readme.txt
        license.txt
    modlist.txt

For more information about the folder structure please see the mod examples.

Mod Loader ready mod should allow you to extract its content into the mods folder, or simply follow the instructions provided by the mod developer.

File modlist.txt indicates which mods are active and also the load order. First rename modlist-sample.txt to modlist.txt. To activate a mod add new line that begins with '+' followed by the mod folder name. Mods are loaded from top to bottom and because mods can override changes made by other mods the last mod change wins.

History
1.0 - Initial verison
1.1 - Support for Windows 10

Downloads
Loader 1.1 binaries
English Mod Names mod - translates month names to English

Screenshots
Spoiler: In Game Encyclopedia Start Page • show
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:35:23 AM by Weathereye »

ANickel

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:24:11 AM »
This is really neat!  How did you cook this up and what are your plans for it in the future?

Weathereye

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
Thanks. The tool basically intercepts the game's I/O calls and provides merged or replaced mod files instead of the original files. I am going to upload the sources but I am considering creating a page at github.org instead. As for the future - if there is any - there certainly is room for a GUI that will allow users to manipulate mods directly and set up different profiles for different characters.

It really is just an experiment that started with me wanting to change the month names to English in my game and that's what I did. (;

ANickel

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »
Thanks. The tool basically intercepts the game's I/O calls and provides merged or replaced mod files instead of the original files. I am going to upload the sources but I am considering creating a page at github.org instead. As for the future - if there is any - there certainly is room for a GUI that will allow users to manipulate mods directly and set up different profiles for different characters.

It really is just an experiment that started with me wanting to change the month names to English in my game and that's what I did. (;
I would wholeheartedly recommend that you try out gitHub.  It can be a pain to get used to at first, but if you're making a tool like this it can be a really great way to develop.  I have another question though, you mention that you found a way to modify/add encyclopedia pages?  Are they stored somewhere in plain-text or are they difficult to put together?

StefanPravda

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »
A wonderful idea, may you continue to update it as long as the game will be   8)

Weathereye

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
... I have another question though, you mention that you found a way to modify/add encyclopedia pages?  Are they stored somewhere in plain-text or are they difficult to put together?

The loader allows each mod to have its own game.nfo file. When the game tries to read the original file, the loaded reads the original file and also files in each mod folder if present, merges all the content into a single game.nfo file and serves it to the game. The combined file does not exists as it's only stored in the memory, but the content is currently saved into the file _urwml_debug_game.nfo for debugging.

The merge process allows adding new pages and replacing existing ones. In addition to that the first page of each mod file is linked to the original start page. See screenshot above. (Currently every mod that adds or modifies encyclopedia pages is automatically linked and that is not ideal so it needs to change.)

A wonderful idea, may you continue to update it as long as the game will be   8)

Thanks. That's one tall order (: The idea actually comes from program called Mod Organizer, a mod manager for various Bethesda games.

StefanPravda

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
I know MO, used it for quite a while. Easier to manage mods.

dan83m

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
hi guys, sorry to ask but i dont know how to use it this one, someone can telle me exaclty what to do to make it work?

for example with this mod "English Mod Names mod"

Privateer

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:47 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

OMG How have I not seen this O_O;
Amazing work!

p.s. where's the encyclopedia update?  :D
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.