Topic: [Spoilers] Meeting the Forest Spirits  (Read 3462 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: April 02, 2022, 12:24:01 AM »
I'm deep into the winter, and got this mission from one of the Sages at a nearby village. I found an ants nest, and waited until "Night", and stood on top of the nest and sacrificed a bit of a silver bracelet I'd purchased. Then I sat in a nearby Spruce post I'd setup for the occassion, beside a bonfire I setup to keep me warm. I waited the entire night, and deep into "Early morning". No spirit appeared. Is there a failure chance? Did I do something wrong? Meeting the water spirit was really easy and worked the first try. Silver ain't cheap!

ineedcords

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 02:47:35 AM »
I'm deep into the winter, and got this mission from one of the Sages at a nearby village. I found an ants nest, and waited until "Night", and stood on top of the nest and sacrificed a bit of a silver bracelet I'd purchased. Then I sat in a nearby Spruce post I'd setup for the occassion, beside a bonfire I setup to keep me warm. I waited the entire night, and deep into "Early morning". No spirit appeared. Is there a failure chance? Did I do something wrong? Meeting the water spirit was really easy and worked the first try. Silver ain't cheap!
You can find some things to check + some suggestions by the dev here (check for nearby traders/villages which apparently spook the spirit): https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5372.0

This post, in another similar thread suggests visual is important - did you have a big bonfire (or an active torch) to be able to see? https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1206.msg4890#msg4890
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 02:57:25 AM »
You can find some things to check + some suggestions by the dev here (check for nearby traders/villages which apparently spook the spirit): https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5372.0

This post, in another similar thread suggests visual is important - did you have a big bonfire (or an active torch) to be able to see? https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1206.msg4890#msg4890

I did mention the bonfire in the initial post, it shed light as far as the ant hill and a good area around me. It's possible they spawned in the nearby trees and I could never see them? I don't know.

I don't see any villagers/traders near the area during the day, but I may not always see them on the map. And there's no "activity" in the area I'm at. I'm a good distance from any village or my own settlement.

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 03:05:51 AM »
I did mention the bonfire in the initial post, it shed light as far as the ant hill and a good area around me.
My bad.

I don't see any villagers/traders near the area during the day, but I may not always see them on the map. And there's no "activity" in the area I'm at. I'm a good distance from any village or my own settlement.
I see. Perhaps try another ant nest (following dev's advice in this post https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5372.msg12972#msg12972 ).
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 10:36:00 AM »
While silver can be hard to get hold of early on and is costly, the sacrifice only sacrifices a piece of the silver item, so it's good for a few attempts.

I'd try remaining right beside the ant hill, rather than move away from it, and I'd also try an ant hill away from any construction, which includes post spruces.

I'm not aware of a failure chance for this mission.

It can also be worth noting that the various spirit missions have a much longer timeout than other missions and can also be active in parallel with normal ones, so you can wait until it gets warmer and lighter if you want/need to.

JP_Finn

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 07:46:13 PM »
After sacrificing some silver, I’ve always waited on the ant hill. Hasn’t failed to summon the Old Man so far with that. If doing this in winter, without moon light, I tend to light up an entire trunk or 3-5 slender ones. Helps with freezing temps too

GrimmSpector

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 03:26:36 AM »
After sacrificing some silver, I’ve always waited on the ant hill. Hasn’t failed to summon the Old Man so far with that. If doing this in winter, without moon light, I tend to light up an entire trunk or 3-5 slender ones. Helps with freezing temps too

Yeah I found another ant hill where I plan to do this soon, thanks!

GrimmSpector

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 01:19:08 AM »
Staying ON the Ants Nest was the key! Only took an hour or so waiting. I ... think ... that the spirit blessed me!