Topic: Can't find any plantable seeds  (Read 2942 times)

Green_Alien

« on: October 24, 2021, 06:19:19 PM »
Hello, I've started my game in north of the map, in the middle of nowhere, with Seal Tribe west of me and Owl Tribe east of me. Far to the south are Sartolaiset, and after a good haul murdering njerpez and various forest animals, I've decided to head south with a generous cargo of furs and blood-stained metalwork.

Problem is, none of the thickly populated agricultural Sartolaiset seem to have any grains or beans or turnips or peas or anything. What gives? Is it because it's seedmonth and they put every single grain into ground?

Bert Preast

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 07:18:43 PM »
I think the NPC agriculture is modelled abstractly, at least I have never seen them work their fields so I doubt the season would make a difference.

How many villages have you checked?  Some cultures have 20 or more, some small villages and some larger.  Often you will find that one building is a sort of granary, with lots of seeds and grain and dried foods in it.  If you've only checked four or five villages, I suggest keep looking!

Oh, and welcome to the forum  :)

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 08:01:37 PM »
The seed availability is indeed seasonal, so right after harvest there tends to be a fair amount of seeds around, but most tend to be gone after planting.

Logically, seeds that you eat (peas, grain, etc.) should be kept for internal use until harvest, but that stock shouldn't be available for sale, so you won't see it.

I don't think seeds disappear completely, but they definitely become rarer "while in use".

Turnips grow fast enough that you can get two harvests if the winter doesn't drag on, which means you ought to be able to get some seeds after the first harvest and plant it to be able to get a harvest of your own in the same year.

Bert Preast

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
Then I stand corrected!  The depth of this game never ceases to impress me.

Green_Alien

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:39:31 AM »
I think the NPC agriculture is modelled abstractly, at least I have never seen them work their fields so I doubt the season would make a difference.

How many villages have you checked?  Some cultures have 20 or more, some small villages and some larger.  Often you will find that one building is a sort of granary, with lots of seeds and grain and dried foods in it.  If you've only checked four or five villages, I suggest keep looking!

Oh, and welcome to the forum  :)

Thanks for the welcome! I genuinely checked 14 settlements with no luck. Absolutely zero kind of any plantables.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:03:18 AM by Green_Alien »

MrMotorhead

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:24:46 PM »
I certainly feel your pain, my latest character spent over a month traveling around villages to find an axe.  I've had others completely unable to find a pair of socks.  While it is a bit frustrating I also appreciate that things are scarce, and that there are no NPC vendors that could sell you any of their unlimited inventory of items.

If I was looking for seeds, I'd try heading to Koivula or Kiesse.  I suspect these would be worth the journey from any of the northern tribe lands if you are looking for agricultural items.

If you know you want to start a farming character, there's a good starting scenario where you begin with seeds and tools for planting.

I hope you enjoy your time in the UnReal World.