Topic: Real life names for mushrooms?  (Read 4028 times)

arisu

« on: July 10, 2021, 03:29:27 PM »
What are the real life basis for the various mushrooms in the game? I've so far figured out the easy ones, but the others are difficult. Why I'm asking is that I've been wanting to DM a UrW-like ttrpg for a while, and I'd like to know what the various plants in the game are in Finnish. The wiki lists the names for the herbs and the berries and crops are self explanatory so I just need to figure out what the mushrooms are.

The mushrooms that I have not figured out are the following, and if you have any ideas, it would be great if you'd share them (if the developer would chime in that would be even better)
- Browncoat mushroom
- Yellow fingers mushroom
- Ringed mushroom
- Soft mushroom
- Bearpaw mushroom
- Tellervo's gift mushroom
- Redlegger mushroom

Erkka

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 06:54:38 PM »
Most of the mushroom are just invented, with no exact counterparts in the real world.

Tellervo's Gift is loosely modelled based on Suppilovahvero.

If the other ones in your list were based on some real references, seems like I have forgotten about them long since. But I have a vague memory that this question has been asked before, so if someone is expert in digging through old posts (probably in the old forums), there might be some forgotten pieces of information hidden there =) But, what I do remember is that most of the
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

arisu

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 07:45:09 PM »
Ah, so they're not that exact. Well in that case I can just translate their ingame names to Finnish and not seek out some irl mushroom that resembles them. Thank you for the info ;D

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
I always thought yellow fingers were chanterelles (kanttarelli), brown coats and yellow coats as portobellos(herkkusieni)

I’ve not, subconsciously or consciously, assign real mushroom to others.

Dark Art

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 12:52:26 AM »

Matti-patti

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »
The wiki lists the names for the herbs and the berries and crops are self explanatory so I just need to figure out what the mushrooms are.

Just note that the Wiki while seemingly generally correct on those accounts does make at least one mistake. Clayweed is almost certainly Chenopodium album aka Jauhosavikka or Saviruoho (=Clayweed), not Clotsfoot.

As far as mushrooms go, I had assigned yellowcoat as keltavahvero or chanterelle and on basis of that I thought browncoat would be suppilovahvero, but apparently not. It does make sense if the mushrooms are more loosely based on Finnish mushrooms, yellow finger for one has so early harvest time it can't be any regular Finnish mushroom.

anything