Topic: [3.70b] Friendly animals fought each others  (Read 2971 times)

skyleaf

« on: July 05, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »
1st: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5770
2nd: https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=5774

So this time I was travelling with my hounds and the bull for a winter hunting trip as usual. It was calm and snowy on the road.
All of a sudden and without any obvious triggers, my bull rammed one of my dogs and subsequently, my dog decided to bite back.
Lucky for me, the "unleash - and - leash" trick still works and both animals calmed down rather quickly.

I don't if it is a bug or intended feature, but man, this is the third time it happened to me.
Did anyone experienced similar thing? Do anyone knows how do I prevent this from happening again? Many thanks.

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 07:21:22 PM »
I've had that happen with sheep quite a lot, I stopped buying sheep because of it. I haven't had the problem with cows for some reason. I think it's a bug that's been there for a long time

ineedcords

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 08:02:37 PM »
<snip>
Did anyone experienced similar thing? Do anyone knows how do I prevent this from happening again? Many thanks.
Very interesting. This has never happened to me as far as I can remember and I am thinking probability-wise I should be a prime candidate to observe this behaviour (or bug) because I usually obtain many dogs (10+) and bulls (3+) as soon as I can afford it so a lot of potential fights. I wonder what factors trigger it.

We don't have a more recent group picture but this one below was taken on our completion day last year when we finally bought a new Njerp camp.
As shown in the picture, I went to get the keys from the current owners (they all came to wish us good luck in our new place) & in the tree line you see dozen dog & bulls - they just wait without biting each other.

In this game, I probably tried not leashing my bull years ago at some point but at the moment cannot remember the last time I left a bull unleashed (without fences). I don't know if it's necessary at this point but definitely a habit.
If free-roaming-bulls is a thing, when travelling around, do you keep your bulls leashed or unleashed?
I keep my dogs leashed or unleashed depending on situation but all bulls (typically 4) are always leashed to me (or, rarely to a tree) but they never free roam ever.
If you have not tried this maybe try that and let us know if helped get rid of this behaviour/bug?

(UPDATE: See my edit below: leashing bulls is necessary. Free-roaming-bulls is not a thing! I have no idea why this bug is happening and no further test ideas either, sorry. Hopefully the devs can shed light on this soon).

Edit: Just bought two test bulls, they both seemed to walk away in zoomed-in map. When I changed to the wilderness map & left the purchase-village behind, I lost both test bulls so I guess that's why I got into the habit of leashing them...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:33:12 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 07:04:21 AM »
yeah, dogs are the only pet you can unleash, the other animals need a pen.

When it happened to me, I had both the dog and the sheep leashed and I was holding onto the leash so we were all travelling together. I wonder if it can happen when the dog is unleashed or when the sheep (or bull) is leashed to a tree.

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 11:07:04 AM »
<snip>
I wonder if it can happen when the dog is unleashed or when the sheep (or bull) is leashed to a tree.
Looking back, I think I tried each of the three scenarios I can think of in this last long playthrough with no issues (edit: this lasted, at least for 7 days).

1) While building a large pen in my most recent base for several days I had "4 bulls tied to a tree and 10+ dogs free roaming" and this issue did not occur in my game.

2) Most of the game while travelling I had bulls leashed to me -obviously- and the dogs were free roaming 99% of the time.
(I only tied them when I saw a wolf or was about to attack a Njerp camp and wanted to control engagement etc.)
This probably lasted 1200 days or so, in this 1500+ day character playthrough and again no issues.

3) Fast forward to the last year: when I started losing dogs (probably I was not noticing the warning or maybe it did not appear at all) I changed the tactic and whenever I travel now I keep the dogs leashed to me just like the bulls. This is about 300 days in this last playthrough and again this issue did not occur.

This is a head scratcher.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.