Topic: [3.70b] Hanging when changing setting at start  (Read 4266 times)

PALU

« on: June 28, 2021, 09:19:04 PM »
Immediately after starting UrW I went into setting to change things to my liking, with the most important settings being Music OFF and full screen ON. I then exited out from settings and tried to quit (to allow the full screen to take effect), but UrW ceased to respond. After a couple of minutes I pressed the "close" icon in the top right corner of the window, at which Windows 10.1 asked me whether I wanted to close UrW or wait. Close closed the game.
I then started UrW again, and the changed settings had taken effect. I closed UrW and changed some additional settings in the urw_ini.txt file and started up UrW again and was able to generate a new character and play for a bit, and then save and close normally.

UrW probably generated the file urw_ini_tmp.txt as part of the process, as I found that file when looking for urw_ini.txt to change the additional settings. I'd guess that file should have been removed in the process, but get left behind when the game hang.

I'm using the Lifetimer Member version of UrW, in case it makes a difference.

Thus, not a serious issue, and I haven't tried to repeat it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 06:59:57 PM by Sami »

trowftd

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 11:30:07 PM »
Oooh, this is very interesting. After reading this post, I also turned the music off and fullscreened the game and got the same result as you. I am using the Steam version, but I don't think this matters. After I force closed the game and opened it, it opened without any problems though. So this exists in steam as well.

Edit: To add more context, I have not changed the fullscreen and music settings after downloading 3.70b. I've only done it after reading this post. Turning the fullscreen option to no does not create the same problem. Changing the fullscreen after the initial crash does not create any other problems.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:33:13 PM by trowftd »

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »
I tested it and this must have been there for version, and versions. It hangs similarly with 3.63, and previous ones too.
It's related merely to SDL_mixer trying free music resources upon quitting when background music has been switch off.
Very weird, have no clue how to fix it at this point.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

ineedcords

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »
I tried it, and game froze exactly as described but then I retried it does not freeze any more (retried 20+ times by now - only froze the very first time).

Are you guys able to reproduce this?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:31:52 PM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 01:39:12 PM »
It can be reproduced reliably, at least on Windows.

The trick is simply to turn background music off (when it has been initially on) and then quit.

If the music was off already, or is playing, quitting works normally.
It's one of the sdl mixer functions that freezes, may work normally on other platforms though.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:02:53 PM »
It can be reproduced reliably, at least on Windows.

The trick is simply to turn background music off (when it has been initially on) and then quit.

If the music was off already, or is playing, quitting works normally.
It's one of the sdl mixer functions that freezes, may work normally on other platforms though.
Well, I am not complaining "why this bug is not working for me consistently?!" :)

Responding just to provide another data point: on my PC (Windows 10) this particular UrW (Steam distribution, 3.70b2), when playing with Setup > Audio/Background Music settings, crashed just once & it never crashed again regardless off what I change & regardless of initial bgmusic setting when the game is launched.

In this short YouTube clip I change settings and as you can see game is just fine https://youtu.be/hsq2XT2jsv0
This must be a setup dependent bug then.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:53:11 AM »
ineedcords, you have to quit the game for the issue to happen.
Just changing setup options on the run works as usual.

The trick is simply to turn background music off (when it has been initially on) and then quit (the game).

ineedcords

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
ineedcords, you have to quit the game for the issue to happen.
Just changing setup options on the run works as usual.

The trick is simply to turn background music off (when it has been initially on) and then quit (the game).
Ah ok that's my bad. As you both say, turning off bgmusic followed by QUIT (on Win10) consistently produces a UrW application freeze indeed.