Topic: Black Smiths and Armor Sizes  (Read 2853 times)

Ares

« on: April 30, 2021, 09:02:25 PM »
I'd like to see metal armor divided into small, medium, and large. Every character would be separated into each category based off their weight and height. Wearing armor other than your size will give a penalty. You would need to visit a blacksmith and pay to have a piece of armor adjusted to a different size. Blacksmiths could also be commissioned to make specific pieces of armor (or metal weapons) for a little more than if you just traded for that same piece normally, and would take a few days to complete (longer for bigger/more complicated pieces). They could also repair your damaged metal armor, too.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 01:14:22 AM »
If I understand it correctly, smiths moved from settlement to settlement as they were highly paid and thus exhausted the demand (or at least ability to pay) reasonably quickly. I would guess they had the local population set up the stationary facilities and then used those to serve the local village cluster before moving on with their own equipment, possibly having the existing fixed facilities repaired/maintained when visiting a village that had facilities from previous smith visits.
If that's the case, you'd have to be lucky to catch smiths on their tours (possibly helped by asking villagers about smith whereabouts).

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Coming from a heritage of tinkers this seems obvious to me. My family were mainly concerned with household items (not a lot of call for armour in 18th 19th century Europe) but the principle is the same.

Ares

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 05:44:30 AM »
If I understand it correctly, smiths moved from settlement to settlement as they were highly paid and thus exhausted the demand (or at least ability to pay) reasonably quickly. I would guess they had the local population set up the stationary facilities and then used those to serve the local village cluster before moving on with their own equipment, possibly having the existing fixed facilities repaired/maintained when visiting a village that had facilities from previous smith visits.
If that's the case, you'd have to be lucky to catch smiths on their tours (possibly helped by asking villagers about smith whereabouts).

Yes, this would be a good suggestion to add to it. They'd travel more frequently through the Driik lands, and other rich trading cultures, and infrequently in the hinterlands. Asking villagers would give you a sense of when they anticipate a smith to next come visit their village, and possibly if they know of one currently in a nearby village.

anything