Topic: Adventurer Gear  (Read 4372 times)

Ares

« on: April 27, 2021, 11:54:44 PM »
Adventurer's should generally start off with more armor. I frequently meet them strutting around half-naked. For instance, I just spoke to one wearing nothing but a cloak.

Matti-patti

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:43:51 PM »
At least he has a cloak, I have seen an adventurer who was butt naked. He also refused to wear any clothing I traded to him, so it was probably some philosophical stance of his.

But I'd like to see adventurers have a bit more warrior like getup compared to woodsmen and hunters. Helm and shield typically, maybe some body armor occasionally
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 12:45:55 PM by Matti-patti »

Tom H

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
I'd like to see rain gear to cover a traveler, boots that get soaked in the rain, wide-brimmed hats for the rain. Perhaps skins that have been rubbed with animal fat for water-proofing.

Ares

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 02:36:26 AM »
At least he has a cloak, I have seen an adventurer who was butt naked. He also refused to wear any clothing I traded to him, so it was probably some philosophical stance of his.

But I'd like to see adventurers have a bit more warrior like getup compared to woodsmen and hunters. Helm and shield typically, maybe some body armor occasionally

Yes, right after I posted this, the very next adventurer I met was completely naked! I imagine the village I recruited him from were more than happy to be rid of his presence...

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
Even URW is a RPG, I also think renaming “adventurer” in to “warriors” would make better sense, theme and immersion wise. And with some suitable gear&garments.

ineedcords

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
Even URW is a RPG, I also think renaming “adventurer” in to “warriors” would make better sense, theme and immersion wise. And with some suitable gear&garments.
As they are not "warriors", that would be a huge change. I think of them as "villager young dudes who wanted to go see other places and perhaps increase their wealth while doing it". This does not mean they have training/experience on art of war in any way; nor do they have the wealth to purchase those items which are typically expensive.

To me what makes more sense is many men getting bored with their boring village life and becoming "adventurers". It makes sense majority of these guys are poor.
Perhaps they shouldn't be butt-naked but should have linen clothes and maybe one piece of fur overcoat/cloak for some warmth.

Thinking the other way around though, to me it does not make sense to see many "warriors" as it is unanswered how/from where did they acquire those expensive/very expensive items.

To increase challenge, Njerp count could be tweaked & increased perhaps. More Njerps make sense to me as that is presented as an invasion in the lore (e.g.: Game Course text) and is logical that these warriors from East who presumably looted other locations before and thus gained experience as well as wealth (to pay for gear) now exist in Finland.
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 11:21:46 PM »
Being a warrior wouldn’t require expensive equipment. Many people already carry axes, knives, spears, bow&arrows. Place an emphasis on the NPC creation for these types to have a decent to expert skill in at least one type of weapon AND have them carry that. After checking “preferred and accessible weapons” for their given culture.
E.g. Owl-tribe warrior to spawn likely with northern bow, not flail. Kiesseläinen maybe with an axe. Islander with a knife, axe (they’re carpentry oriented) or spear, they do have access to angon. Koivulainen might spawn with flail as skill, but shouldn’t have actual flail, only grain flail. And so on.

ineedcords

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:29 AM »
Matching NPC skills and equipment makes perfect sense to me; a person with spear skill would be dedicating their resources to obtain one, likewise for a bowman etc. In my opinion armourwise they should stay weak overall though.

As an extra, perhaps a new "profession" can be added ("warrior") which in the lore could be a natural response of native tribesman to the invading Njerps however this NPC type should be rare and roaming warriors should not take over Finland :)
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 06:38:24 AM »
I wouldn’t expect more than an iron helmet, or leather cap, with leather vest and bracers. And in case of a hand axe or short sword, a round shield.

And at least trousers and a shirt/tunic....

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 05:48:02 PM »
From my understanding of unreal world lore, dedicated warriors would be few and far between. Unreal world society is generally not organized enough to support specialized occupations, nor to support people who do not contribute food (other than small children and maybe the very elderly). I addition, despite the Njerpez invasion, there are not really organized wars or battles - population is too small and settlements too far apart for resource competition to be an issue.  Most unreal world cultures exist at the level of subsistence, and almost all people are generalists who know abit of everything necessary for survival. Of course most people also have some skill with bow, spear or axe out of necessity, so they can defend themselves if need be. The only culture which can support specialized occupations is the Driik, who might have dedicated warriors/guards.

Of course I could be wrong :)

Brygun

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »

Yes, right after I posted this, the very next adventurer I met was completely naked! I imagine the village I recruited him from were more than happy to be rid of his presence...

He came to that village fully dressed but was a bad gambler.

anything