Topic: Can the player character be killed in one shot?  (Read 2823 times)

Edico

« on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »
Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm wondering in the player character can actually die in one shot? When the pc goes unconscious we don't really see what happens exactly to our bodies before death, so maybe what really happens is something like eye shot, then kill shot to neck while unconscious?

Matti-patti

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 10:20:33 PM »
I'd presume so. There are instant kill wounds in the base system of Harnmaster and in practice you can insta kill mobs yourself in URW. I have made countless insta kills with chance neck or eye hits (even against something like otherwise unharmed bears), but occasionally you see one with something like chest hit as well.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:23:16 PM by Matti-patti »

PALU

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:44:51 PM »
As Matti-patti said, you can insta-kill enemies, and the rules aren't different for the player and the enemies. In practice it doesn't really matter whether your character dies instantly or gets knocked unconscious and an enemy finishes you off while unconscious, though.

I remember on character being lost after firing shot after shot at a Nerp, missing everyone, and then have him firing a single arrow back, blood welling up from the chest, and everything go dark.
Another character failed to hit a wolf with a javelin throw (at 75% effective skill), miss a spear attack (same skill), and then a dodge (again, roughly same skill), get bitten in the arm and faint from pain, never to wake up again (while the still leashed dog obviously didn't manage to prevent death).
The first injury above was probably lethal, while the second one definitely wasn't (the second character had had a history of fainting when getting injured, including being hauled away by robbers with a whole posse of companions on the scene, still there when the character returned with the fight continuing where it was broken off).

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:48:59 PM »
Check your ancestors; it should show if you died while unconscious or otherwise.

Edico

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 12:57:43 AM »
Check your ancestors; it should show if you died while unconscious or otherwise.

I will have to cross reference once I think I die from one shot. I don't think any of my characters have died that way... But through all the versions I've had a lot of deaths

anything