Topic: [3.63] Cave floor retains snow cover if built on  (Read 4167 times)

Buoidda

« on: January 19, 2021, 04:27:25 PM »
Bug-like game behavior:

The subject pretty much sums it up. In the picture below, part of the cave is "inside of a building" and part "cave floor".

Graphically they are indistinguishable. Even with snow cover.

(This part might as well be a suggestion: It doesn't really make sense for caves to have snow at all, btw. Maybe snow on just on those squares were the "surface of the earth" generates light, near the entrance?)

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »
I agree with no-snow deep in the cave.
But the graphical anomaly of snow retained on built ceiling&floor is possibly/likely platform related issue.
@rudy had a question about the issue and I did some testing and the graphic presentation of snow on built or in progress ceiling and floor is NOT an issue on Mac OSX ‘High Sierra’

Edit: added possibly/likely above
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:21:12 PM by JP_Finn »

rudy

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 06:52:08 PM »
I agree with no-snow deep in the cave.
But the graphical anomaly of snow retained on built ceiling&floor is platform related issue.
@rudy had a question about the issue and I did some testing and the graphic presentation of snow on built or in progress ceiling and floor is NOT an issue on Mac OSX ‘High Sierra’
To be clear, your testing was building on a fully snow-covered cave tile? Not just partially snowy/frosty?

Even if so, I'm not sure how you can conclude that it's platform based. That seems a pretty low likelihood conclusion.

@Buoidda As mentioned, I had a similar issue. The snow does melt as normal. I haven't yet gotten to winter again to see if it re-snows on my build cave.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
It had light dusting of snow. I'll move my toon over to build another section, as now the snow is about ankle depth.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Now there's 'Ankle Deep Snow', just finished building new section (SW), excuse the poor lighting.
Yes, covered the snow on cave floor on Mac OSX 10.13.6 'High Sierra'

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 09:50:57 PM »
--snip--
Even if so, I'm not sure how you can conclude that it's platform based. That seems a pretty low likelihood conclusion.
Mac handles graphics differently, i.e. if I use any tile-gfx (Jaredonian's characters, other modded items) with Alpha-layer enabled, the background/green-screen won't be invisible, but shows as green*. I have a hunch, not knowledge, it's possibly related.
If the alpha is off on vanilla graphics, so it'll display correct on Mac, it might be needed on covering other layer (snowy cave floor) on W10.
If the graphics have Alpha disabled on Mac and enabled on W10 package, then I'll agree that the issue is likely something else.

* other members, had come across the issue earlier for others.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:04:36 PM »
In-progress / paused Ceiling&floor build covers the snowy cave floor as well.

Buoidda

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:31:48 PM »
I add that unfinished build displays 'correctly' without snow. The snow only reappears once the 'ceiling and floor' are finished.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 04:57:15 AM »
So something with the completed c&f graphic on snowy floor. That is different from in-progress graphic. Or the handling of the 2, not necessarily the gfx files themselves.

rudy

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 07:40:20 PM »
Update on this. Within the same game I had the error occur within one location, and not another.

I've also had it happen with a kota floor, but only when built on rock.

I wonder if it has something to do with the particular location, and the underlying tile type.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 07:58:42 PM »
You might be into something: Is the outside of the cave moss covered, or base rock? (Unless it’s snow covered and can’t tell until spring)
I’m pretty sure my samples above have moss outside the cave. But will be few ingame months to verify.

rudy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 08:28:14 PM »
I can confirm that the cave for which the bug occurred is at "rock" level as opposed to "ground". Same for the kota.

On the ones for which the bug occurred, the snow *did* melt, but I was left with just the rock visual (even though it says "Inside of a Building" when looked at).

The good news is that another winter has come, and snow is not falling onto the tiles so far. They still just look like rock, though.

anything