Topic: Keldor Kaumolainen  (Read 11763 times)

Varmin

« on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:42 PM »
i started around the middle of Kaumolainen territory started in spring, managed to kill a bear early on but sold most of the meat for some grains, planning on building my home close to a village and doing some farming and more hunting.
might do some Njerpez hunting

Varmin

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 08:56:20 PM »
seams like the snow is melting so i guess i should work on clearing land for farming

JP_Finn

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 09:10:42 PM »
Cutting down trees to clear farm plots, while getting logs for cabin: win-win

Before burning lumber for preparing the soil, check the ground first with shovel. If it's too cold / frozen to dig a pit, it's too cold to prepare the soil. But you can always spread the lumber ready for burning.

I like small plots surrounded by fences with some light lever traps and small deadfalls here and there. Birds, hares and badgers seem love to tear up my plots.

Buoidda

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »
(I like to pay locals some meat to do the chopping, leaves me more time to do everything else. Plus the spirits don't get all upset bc all the chopping)

but @JP_Finn Varmin isn't necessarily a newbie since the bear skull is a relatively new thing - I was also about to post hints before coming to this conclusion
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:17:42 PM by Buoidda »

Varmin

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:18:29 PM »
i have 3 bags of grain and i am trying to buy a pot and some turnip and pea seeds with 42 bear cuts, i also have a rough short sword i am willing to give up so i will try to get some labor to help with the tree clearing

Varmin

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »
the meat is stale damn

Buoidda

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
the meat is stale damn

Roasting the meat makes it awful (not sure if always) and not tradable even then, but you can hire help with it.

Turnips grow twice as fast as almost everything else so be sure to take that into account when planting and when clearing. Growth times in days are under "MATURE" in flora_cultivated.txt You might manage two harvests of turnip.

Also recommend this: uprooted turnip graphic
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:31:34 PM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 09:26:56 PM »
If you smoke stale meat with decent, 30% skill, you might get it as bland.
And that's tradeable. But will take 16 days.
I often avoid hiring help early-game, as they need to eat and then get paid. And I don't like to be "that guy who didn't pay"

Buoidda

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
If you smoke stale meat with decent, 30% skill, you might get it as bland.
And that's tradeable. But will take 16 days.
I often avoid hiring help early-game, as they need to eat and then get paid. And I don't like to be "that guy who didn't pay"

Doesn't ordering them to make boards and pay with them work anymore?

EDIT: oh I usually hire random ppl from the woods. Anyway boards: make paddles and shortbows ok for trade in early game
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:37:34 PM by Buoidda »

Varmin

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 09:31:55 PM »
i think they have boards at the village so i dont think i can trade them boards, here is my skills
i just noticed my agriculture skill
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:36:56 PM by Varmin »

JP_Finn

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
(I like to pay locals some meat to do the chopping, leaves me more time to do everything else. Plus the spirits don't get all upset bc all the chopping)

but @JP_Finn Varmin isn't necessarily a newbie since the bear skull is a relatively new thing - I was also about to post hints before coming to this conclusion

Heh yeah, truth. I recall vaguely when Hiding was added. Gamestyle's vary.
But since the tying equipment is now in feet, and vanilla has withes: I never sell spring start meat, set it to dry instead. Makes day-to-day life so much easier once it's ready. But, play styles differ.
Almost invariably, daily non-fish sacrifices will keep forest spirits ok.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:39:01 PM by JP_Finn »

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
If the village already has boards, make and trade birchbark ropes.

Varmin

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
i have 4 bear bones, is there any use for them

JP_Finn

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »
i have 4 bear bones, is there any use for them
Backup food for dogs.

Or usable with mods.

JP_Finn

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »
Also for future with bear skull. Before you hang it up a pine. Apply the skull like you would a tool: you'll pull out 4 bear teeth. Those can be used in certain... spells and magicks.

anything