Topic: Are Map tiles eventually cleared?  (Read 5644 times)

rudy

« on: January 11, 2021, 04:03:21 PM »
Hello,

My save file size is nearing 3GB, and I'm wondering if tile data is cleared if you do not visit a square for long enough.

I'm aware of the "clear everything except for the place you are in" trick, but that's a last resort.

PALU

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
Map maintenance, whether triggered manually or automatically, should clear out much of the unessential data from tiles.

rudy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:31:24 PM »
how do I trigger it manually, please?

rudy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
Nevermind, found it. That helped a lot, thanks!

Buoidda

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
:
I'm aware of the "clear everything except for the place you are in" trick, but that's a last resort.

This caught my interest. What is it? How do I do it?

rudy

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 06:43:47 PM »
:

This caught my interest. What is it? How do I do it?

First, back up your save before trying!

But then you load your game, and go to the location you want to save (presumably your home). Zoom in.

While the game is open, delete the three zoom files from your savegame folder.

Zoom out.

You should now have three new zoom files, but they will only contain the maps that were loaded when you zoomed in (generally the tile you were on, and the adjacent tiles to it).

This resets everything else, including villages, people, and your relationships with those villagers, note.

JP_Finn

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 07:10:28 PM »
For anyone else wondering how to start manual map maintenance: press keyboard 7

Buoidda

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:08:04 PM »
I wonder if that 'clearing zoom files'-trick could be used to flush out modded, outdated flora? (Flora with different specifications than those found in current flora*.txt files.) @Sami @Erkka

Erkka

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:30 PM »
I wonder if that 'clearing zoom files'-trick could be used to flush out modded, outdated flora?

I have no answer to this, for I'm not familiar with the related section of code. Sami only knows. He might answer one day when he has time, or then this is left for modders to find out by experimenting  :)
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 03:53:01 PM »
I wonder if that 'clearing zoom files'-trick could be used to flush out modded, outdated flora? (Flora with different specifications than those found in current flora*.txt files.) @Sami @Erkka

It doesn't affect to that, or any other game data. Just removes the map at the said location.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

paulkorotoon

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:03 PM »
I wonder if that 'clearing zoom files'-trick could be used to flush out modded, outdated flora? (Flora with different specifications than those found in current flora*.txt files.)
I would recommend not to mess with save files (or even manual map maintenance, @rudy). Without a backup, at least. I once got my save broken after hitting 7 (can't recall though, was it 3.62 of 3.63). And once I played with ZOOM*.DAT files, and somehow literally wiped two settlements out of the world.

AFAIK, the game performs map maintenance automatically, when it's really needed.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:11 PM »
I'd think Sami would like a copy of the save that was broken/corrupted by manual map maintenance. I've never had issues with it, since it was added several versions ago. And I use it at least everytime when ground colors change.

paulkorotoon

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
I'd think Sami would like a copy of the save that was broken/corrupted by manual map maintenance. I've never had issues with it, since it was added several versions ago. And I use it at least everytime when ground colors change.
It's been a while... Most probably it was not even 3.62, because as far as I recall, I wasn't a forum member yet. I suppose it was version 3.5*. No backups left, unfortunately.
Biggest Russian UrW fan

anything