Topic: more sea-ness of the sea: seatic species  (Read 3506 times)

Buoidda

« on: January 01, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »
So you got your breath of fresh air from the open sea. Time to relax and take a nap... such a peaceful - THOSE DAMN SEAGULLS! Shouldn't have left the catch unguarded mur mur...

European herring gull wiki : captures my idea: "Their loud, laughing call is well known in the Northern Hemisphere, and is often seen as a symbol of the seaside in countries such as the United Kingdom."

Add seagulls to the game. Make them generally misbehave like steal fish and bicker (audio?) noisily.

And would be nice for some of those fish to be only sea-dwellers too.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:56:06 AM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »
The north shore sea should have some Atlantic halibut (ruijanpallas) hippoglossus hippoglossus. Real monsters of fish, and so very tasty.
Also Atlantic cod (turska) gadus morhua and pollock/saithe (sei/seiti) pollachius virens would be nice additions.
I’ve not researched if/how our ancestors caught them. I’ve only cast for them. Nets and or tridents most likely.

Buoidda

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:57 AM »
While they would be nice, I read here that @Erkka concurred that the north coast draws inspiration more from the gulf of Bothnia (between Finland and Sweden) than the arctic coast. [Maybe some artistic freedom here...  ::)]

That's why I left he cute puffin (colonies) out.  :'( (If somebody managed to see them mentioned in the first seaness thread before its dissection to bits.) [... and here  ::)]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:30:48 AM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
I struggle with notion of Sámi living basically on the modern west coast  :P

I rather see the URW land as IRW Scandinavia as a detached island  ::)

Buoidda

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 09:17:18 AM »
Anything I would reply would predict massive derailing, so I wrote this poll instead. Can you please copy your comment there as well?  :P

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »

Buoidda

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »
No support? What if you could catch flounder, plaice or turbot? (All flatfishes so they could share a new flatfish graphic. )

And I guess trout and salmon should also be among unreal-sea-catches. Or are they already? Yes.

It'd be also sea-reflecting to rarely catch something like "strange fish", "odd-looking fish", "ugly fish" etc.  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:51:03 AM by Buoidda »

PALU

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
:
It'd be sea-reflecting to rarely catch something like "strange fish", "odd-looking fish", "ugly fish" etc.  :D
:
Those aren't fish, they're plants ;P

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
... ‘ugly fish’ is what Vietnamese call crocodiles (Crocodylus siamensis)... I don’t think they moved all the way to the cold Northern waters  ::)

anything