Topic: [Not a bug] Portrait Limit?  (Read 7540 times)

Karmatose

« on: December 29, 2020, 10:38:34 PM »
I recently added a ton (115 female) of portraits to the game, but only 50 of them show up in-game. Regardless of culture it's the same ones, but interestingly enough it's not the first 50 portraits added, but rather a seemingly random selection out of the ones I added. Is it possible there is a portrait limit? Is this something that can be removed?

Not quite sure this is a bug, but it felt weird to put in the suggestions forum as I'm not sure that the limit is for everyone, as the person who gave me the portraits mentioned no such issue.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:35:05 PM by Sami »

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 11:17:18 PM »
Seems girls have no culture,
You could try converting all URW to women replacing /adding E/N/W images in addition to fem

just a guess
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Karmatose

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:32:23 PM »
Seems girls have no culture,
You could try converting all URW to women replacing /adding E/N/W images in addition to fem

just a guess

As in, split up the female images into East/North/West and separate them the same way the males are? Would that even work without adding code?

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »

As in, split up the female images into East/North/West and separate them the same way the males are? Would that even work without adding code?

At least some for sure I think there are 20 male images west1~7 north1~7 and east 1~6 (how many more are supported?) etc.
Plus however many fem# images are supported
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Karmatose

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:56:00 PM »
I know at least 47 male images are supported for each culture as I have around that many for each culture and they all show up. I'm assuming the cap for each culture, as well as for females is 50. So I suppose I'll just have to weed out the ones I don't like as much. Still not sure what you meant by converting the images to e/w/n, as I tried naming some of the portraits 'feme1', 'femw1', 'femn1' but they all showed up regardless of culture. I also tried 'femEast1', 'femWest1', femNorth1', same thing. So I don't think it makes a difference if you try to split them up, the game still registers them all as applying to all cultures.

Privateer

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 12:01:36 AM »
 Sorry didn't understan/realize you had already populated all those positions, you are probably at the maximum.
Mods:

Karmatose

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 12:20:24 AM »
It's alright...I weeded out a lot of the images I like less, so I'm now below the cap. Would still like information on whether raising or removing this cap is possible.

Night

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 03:13:59 AM »
It's alright...I weeded out a lot of the images I like less, so I'm now below the cap. Would still like information on whether raising or removing this cap is possible.

It's possible to work around the cap with modding by inserting the portrait paths into the data manually. I'll write more information / post about it later if/when I get around to it; custom portraits have been requested previously so I looked into it a bit last night, coincidently you post about the limit the next day lol, so this post has been somewhat helpful.

Just to clarify, memory modding, not official modding syntax.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:16:15 AM by Night »
URW Character Menu - Cheating menu by a player, for the players.
URW Character Designer - Design your characters sprite!

Karmatose

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 04:13:33 AM »
Got it! Would you mind linking that post here when you do write it?

Also, is it possible to split up the female portraits in East/West/North like the males with mods like that? It'd be helpful for sorting through the images if I could separate them by culture. ^^

I'm not afraid to mess around in the code a bit, so long as I have a good tutorial. :)

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 03:34:54 PM »
I recently added a ton (115 female) of portraits to the game, but only 50 of them show up in-game. Regardless of culture it's the same ones, but interestingly enough it's not the first 50 portraits added, but rather a seemingly random selection out of the ones I added. Is it possible there is a portrait limit? Is this something that can be removed?

Not quite sure this is a bug, but it felt weird to put in the suggestions forum as I'm not sure that the limit is for everyone, as the person who gave me the portraits mentioned no such issue.

Yes indeed, there's a limit of 50 per each portrait type, so that what this was.
Portraits are picked to the list as they appear in the file system, and that's not necessarily their numeral order.

So, not a bug per se.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 05:09:13 PM »
But a suggestion for the future might be to sort females the same way as males are, i.e. per culture. I guess you're not having enough female images to make use of that, but the base game can have the same ones duplicated for the different cultures.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
But a suggestion for the future might be to sort females the same way as males are, i.e. per culture. I guess you're not having enough female images to make use of that, but the base game can have the same ones duplicated for the different cultures.

Yep. That would be nice in my opinion too. But indeed, not enough portraits for that just yet.
- Sami | UnReal World creator