Topic: seal-catching and dangers of entangling into a net  (Read 3751 times)

Buoidda

« on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:34 PM »
The proper way to catch seals would be the net, btw. (instead of the heavy deadfall)

...and people, and other swimmers. (insert Devil-smiley here)

A killer for seals, waterfowl and people nowadays too.

EDIT: Btw the 5lbs seems far too little skin for the massive grey seal.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:09:47 PM by Buoidda »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:37 AM »
I’d like too see an effect on baiting a net for predatory fish, seal and ospreys (we could always have more birds)

Drop some roaches or smelt/sparkling on the nets and get the pike-perch fill the net in warm summer waters. Do it in rivers and get some salmon/trout goodness. Or anytime/anywhere with open water, those darn ‘shore-crocodile’ pikes.

With @Sami re-doing the angling, I’m hopeful he’ll do small eye nets/large eye nets and varied fish traps sometime after.

Buoidda

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
Playing stranded on a small island that spawned only two land animals in three spring months - a single reindeer doe and a willow grouse.
Fishing stopped working after starvation rose too high.

Heavy deadfalling seals saved me. So I wouldn't take those out of the equation just yet. Do pits work? I wonder if it would more plausible way to catch seals.

I actually spawned pretty close and ran to one, kicking it furiously to death. (Lacked all eq because of wandering off camp after swim training.) Had I had my stone axe with me, that scenario would've been pretty plausible for a desperate marooner. At least if we pretend I didn't just materialize withing 10 meters of a seal but managed to sneak so close  :D

PALU

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 12:38:20 AM »
I can imagine two real life issues with pit traps vs seals:
1. A lot of rock shore, so you can't dig into it.
2. Seals don't venture far away from the shore, and probably don't like climbing, so a pit would probably get filled with water from below fairly quickly (especially if the soil is mostly sand rather than mostly clay).

(And my spring stranded character didn't get any seals or land animals before getting of the single tile island after 2-3 months. Must have been rather tired of roasted pike, with one bird after a month and 4 more in during the rest of the period as the only relief. Injuries healed just quickly enough to win over starvation, allowing for a first pike at a starvation of 13).

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 02:48:40 PM »
The proper way to catch seals would be the net, btw. (instead of the heavy deadfall)

...and people, and other swimmers. (insert Devil-smiley here)

A killer for seals, waterfowl and people nowadays too.

EDIT: Btw the 5lbs seems far too little skin for the massive grey seal.

Is the suggestion to add possibility of seals to be able to get tangled into fishermens nets, or?
I believe the modern nets are far more dangerous and effective in that regard.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Buoidda

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 10:42:59 PM »
Yes I meant possibility of seals get stuck in the nets urw already sports.

Sorry, audience. Finnish scientific quote:

"Historiallisen ajan hylkeen
verkkopyynnin levinneisyyden (Friisien saarilta ja Skandinaviasta itään
Pohjois-Siperiaan ja Alaskaan) perusteella on päätelty, että hylkeen verkkopyynnillä olisi pohjoisimmassa Euroopassa esihistorialliset taustat.17 Tämän ovat Itämeren alueen hyljeverkkolöydöt vahvistaneetkin."

Juha Ylimaunu: Itämeren hylkeenpyyntikulttuurit ja ihminen-hylje -suhde. Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seura, 2000.
https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/234661/it%C3%A4meren.pdf?sequence=1

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 11:03:00 PM »
Yes I meant possibility of seals get stuck in the nets urw already sports.

Sorry, audience. Finnish scientific quote:

Juha Ylimaunu: Itämeren hylkeenpyyntikulttuurit ja ihminen-hylje -suhde. Suomalaisen Kirjallisuuden Seura, 2000.
https://helda.helsinki.fi/bitstream/handle/10138/234661/it%C3%A4meren.pdf?sequence=1

For all, the quote was about using nets in seal hunting.

But the seal nets, to my knowledge, are different from the common fish nets of the era. Their construction was made specific to get the seal tangled. And the net placements were also often seal specific eg. to catch the animal when they dived back from their resting skerries, or to block their narrow swimming routes with a wide constructions.
A specific seal net item would need to be created, and random placement wouldn't be that all effective.
Well, I don't know if we want, or can, spend too much time on seal hunting details in the near future, but it's a field where lots of special gear and methods could be added.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 01:25:15 AM »
If you have the time, eventually, to include built fish traps, crawfish traps, branch-stake earthen fish traps (enable building branch fences in water within 2-6m from the waterline?); then the same code could hopefully be used to seal net catching too.

anything