Topic: [3.63] [3.62] Game freezes on exit if audio device has been unplugged  (Read 4861 times)

paulkorotoon

« on: October 11, 2020, 04:21:21 PM »
Setup: URW 3.63, Windows 10.0.19041.508, Realtek High Definition Audio 6.0.1.7553, single 3.5 rear socket working, eventual switching from speacker to headphones and viсe versa.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Run the game. No matter if you click any menu item or not.
2. Unplug your audio device. No matter if you plug it back, plug another device or do nothing more at all.
3. Click Quit, wait for the final reminder screen to appear.
4. Press any key, like usual.
5. UrW freezes and you have to force close it.

Can't say for sure if it's a bug, yet it had been pretty annoying until I've figured out the reason. Solution is simple though, no touching 3.5 jack while playing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 05:48:13 PM by Sami »
Biggest Russian UrW fan

Matti-patti

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 05:49:05 PM »
This still happens in 3.82. Possibly related to issues with switching audio device while the game is running, as all audio stops when this happens. I.e. if you disconnect or connect a Bluetooth headset or if your monitor goes to sleep while you were using the monitor's speakers (on certain monitors at least), the audio stops and then the game freezes when you try to close it. Using Windows 11.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 05:52:26 PM by Matti-patti »

Senthe

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 06:55:23 PM »
To add some more info to this report, this is probably not happening to everyone, I haven't noticed it at all. And my audio sources change semi frequently. The sound in-game doesn't work after changing audio source, yes, but that's something that happens in other games too and doesn't worry me much. It doesn't freeze on quit afterwards though. I'm on Windows 11 too.

Matti-patti

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 06:40:52 PM »
I wonder what's the difference then? Mobo? Mine's Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4 with software handled by Asus' Armory Crate suite and I also have their DTS app installed (though that app is disabled with Bluetooth headset and monitor speakers). Bluetooth is USB dongle running on Window's 11's default software. And I guess the monitor is interfacing via my GPU which is 3070Ti with driver version 537.34.

Senthe

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 09:32:14 PM »
I doubt it, probably it's something on system level, but only the developers will have some better ideas here how to debug it.

Nanu365

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 04:04:17 AM »
I am also experiencing this issue on current version 3.82. I use Bluetooth, and the game only freezes when exiting from main menu or opening the "magic" screen.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 10:42:37 AM »
In just released version 3.83 the update of SDL_mixer and SDL libraries may, or may not have cleared this issue.
Those who had it, could you please report back after testing 3.83 if this still persists.
Otherwise, there's very little we can do to remedy it, as there is no specific code in the game to handle this kind of operating system triggered changes.
- Sami | UnReal World creator

Matti-patti

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 07:58:40 PM »
Seems fixed on my end. The game properly switches audio device and doesn't crash on exit afterwards.

anything