Topic: turnip seeds  (Read 5716 times)

« on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
ive got my first turnips harvest but how do i get seeds out of them?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:49:50 PM »
You have to thresh them, using a flail you have to make (you can't buy those).

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:34 PM »
it keeps saying theres nothing to tresh

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:47:50 AM »
I don't think turnips give seeds, I think you need the plant for that, and thresh.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 03:54:32 AM »
There's turnip that's in Food section in inventory, and then there's turnip that's in Plant section in inventory.

You need the Plant category turnips, placed on ground on the tile you're standing on, then [^A]griculture | Thresh. That'll produce turnip (Food) and turnip seeds.

Also, if memory serves... if you collect the turnips with "," (comma) or g, you won't get the turnip(plant), just the edible vegetable. I might need to play farmer at some point, been a while (2008-2009?).

PALU

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
In order to get the whole plant you need to Harvest them. Using "G"et will just pick the leaves. I don't remember if turnips can be picked or not, but I know cereals cannot: you have to harvest those.

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 11:33:31 AM »
Yup. Turnips, such as those the villagers have in stacks in their houses, will be seen in the 'Food' category. Turnips harvested from a garden/crop, by using the Harvest action, will be seen in the 'Plants' category. These latter must be threshed, which results in an equal amount of turnips and seeds.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 07:55:27 PM »
yeah i used harvest and then treshing worked

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 04:39:09 AM »
Awesome!

Also, harvesting herbs/weeds can be profitable. I.e. bear pipes simply collected gives leaves or flowers. But when harvested and threshed; yields roots, leaves and flowers. 3x the produce. And doesn’t even need grain flail.

Unless I’m playing Sartolainen or Koivulainen, I rarely plant anything. Yarrow sometimes if cabin yard has room for a plot. (Although wild burdock yields more, with less effort)
Easier to gather some lake reeds for roots(vegetable) or grind some of the lake reed roots to flour, and trade for beans, peas, barley &/rye.

Ara D.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
I wish more plant offered seeds I'm not much for farming but I would like to plant semi wild herbs at my different hunting camps

ModernNorseman

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
Quick tip for those who don't know - you don't actually need a grain flail. A spear or javelin does the trick as well.

JP_Finn

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 07:03:14 AM »
Quick tip for those who don't know - you don't actually need a grain flail. A spear or javelin does the trick as well.
Flail&staff (I didn’t know about spear&javelin, thanks!) are needed for threshing grain. Turnips, herbs, etc can be hand threshed. Even if you have grain flail in inventory or nearby, it doesn’t get used for those.

Labtop 215

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 09:55:40 PM »
I've used rocks, stones, and clubs as well to thresh.

anything