Topic: Measurements for terrain map and wilderness.  (Read 5881 times)

d2shr6o8av

« on: September 29, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »
I couldn't find this information with a quick search so here are my questions:
What is the area or length of a terrain map tile (zoomed in)? My guess is 1/10 of kilometer.
What is the area or length of a wilderness tile (zoomed out)? My guess is 5 meters.

This information should help with understanding directions when you ask where is village/lake/cave/etc.
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

Tinker

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
Unless I have totally misunderstood your question, the size of each tile is shown under the map, last line of the text box.
Terrain tiles are 2m and wilderness tiles are 100m.

On another subject why are measurements like distance in metric and other things not metric? It would make sense for all to be metric or all some other system.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Yes, as Tinker said, it's 2*2 and 100*100 meters respectively (and thus there are 50*50 zoomed in tiles in each world tile).

Also note that UrW uses the unusual system of rounding announced measurements upwards, so an item in your inventory can weigh 1.1 pounds but is displayed as 2 (which is why making 10 bandages can require many more items than you'd think to make if the source items are displayed as weighing 2 each). Similarly, distances are rounded up, so "4 km away" means 3.1 - 4.0 km (i.e. 31-40 world tiles).

Also, information about nearby villages/caves/lakes doesn't even seem to use that system. At least when you ask about things further away I believe it is always described as 20 km (quest directions use the system above).

Directions have a low resolution, being limited to N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW (I wouldn't mind twice the resolution, i.e. N, NEN, NE, ENE, etc.).

And yes, it's somewhat odd to mix metric and more archaic measurements, but it doesn't really matter as it's just numbers with given relations between them (and there's no reasonable relation between the inch/foot/yard measurements and the larger one, i.e. English (or nautical) mile which would make world tiles and overland distances awkward to relate).

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 12:48:27 PM »
Unless I have totally misunderstood your question, the size of each tile is shown under the map, last line of the text box.
Terrain tiles are 2m and wilderness tiles are 100m.

On another subject why are measurements like distance in metric and other things not metric? It would make sense for all to be metric or all some other system.

Right under today's date. Somehow I've managed to ignore that section for a looong time.  :-[

I was testing how grindy it would be to train my bow skill by shooting over a frozen lake so that no arrows would break.
My longest shot with a masterwork longbow and a bow skill in the 50s is 257 tiles or ~514 meters.
Seems like bows and maybe crossbows need their max range to be nerfed. I know I won't be training my bow skill this way anymore. If my dogs could fetch me the arrows that would be nice.
I aimed at the farthest middle point in the map and counted every tile/column I had to travel east to reach an arrow.

According to this website the average medieval longbow could shoot an arrow up to 249 yards (227 meters). If each tile was a square meter than my current game record for longest shot would be above average.
https://archerycloud.com/how-far-can-you-shoot-a-longbow/
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
For archery grinding without arrow loss you can aim at the ground tile in front of you. Note, though, that it requires a huge number of shots to advance the skill when at high levels.

d2shr6o8av

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:41:22 PM »
For archery grinding without arrow loss you can aim at the ground tile in front of you. Note, though, that it requires a huge number of shots to advance the skill when at high levels.

I think I read something about having to aim at least 5 tiles away to get any experience points and the farther away the better. Does increasing the distance give you more experience points to eventually reach a 1% skill up or does it really make no difference?
Hoarder of hungry dogs.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
I've skilled up using the next tile, and doubt anything but the current skill level affects the chance of increasing the skill.
Also note that as far as I know it's a fixed chance to increase the skill, so it may happen on the first one or it may happen on the 1000:ths (I've had "training sessions" for dodge and parrying where I've given up after 600 attempts with no skill increase).

Plotinus

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 08:02:24 AM »
It says in news.txt that you won't learn unless it's at least 5 tiles away.

Version: 3.14-b3
Released: Jan-28-2012

- balanced: skill improvement with target practice

* Target practice skill improvement rate has been decreased a bit.
        * Throwing/shooting at targets less than 5 tiles away isn't considered
          a proper target practice and doesn't improve your skills.

PALU

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
It says in news.txt that you won't learn unless it's at least 5 tiles away.

Version: 3.14-b3
Released: Jan-28-2012

- balanced: skill improvement with target practice

* Target practice skill improvement rate has been decreased a bit.
        * Throwing/shooting at targets less than 5 tiles away isn't considered
          a proper target practice and doesn't improve your skills.
Interesting, given that I haven't played such an old version. I still believe I have skilled up with next tile targeting, but my memory isn't always reliable (and I've stopped using that kind of practice in favor of the rather silly method of firing blunt arrows at animals caught in traps at the neighboring tile, which definitely does improve the skill occasionally, but then you have a live target [when it comes to trapped predators I stay two tiles away]).