Topic: Defense of Cattle?  (Read 5137 times)

user1805

« on: November 10, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »
Someone has some exp about what we have to expect about the defense abilities of a (big) Bull f.e. ?

One time i went to catch an enemy and left a bull and a cow at tree. When i came back with some loot i found the cow dead.

As i saw the cow was killed by a lonesome wolf. Somehow i dont think a single wolf could go for such a big prey, but anyway, what do we have to wexpect ion the game?

Someone know?

Bedlam

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »
Oh yeah, it's a rare occurence but the wolves and lynxes will kill cows if they're hungry. This happens especially in spring. You can reduce this by building traps around the cow pens, so that hopefully the predators will be distracted and get caught in the trap. That's not a 100% solution but sometimes it works. I also leash some dogs so that they are in range of the cows, if a predator shows up the dogs will aggro on them and hopefully scare them away.
URW cooking overhaul - the Njerpez Cookery Mod v1.01!
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=1106.0

user1805

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »
Thx  for this.

So if the intention is to scare the wolves/lynx away a couple of small dogs could do, to be left together with the cattle?

Ho do i feed them when im away for weeks?

Privateer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Thx  for this.

So if the intention is to scare the wolves/lynx away a couple of small dogs could do, to be left together with the cattle?

Ho do i feed them when im away for weeks?

Fence will only block bears, pits will trap bears, lynx, wolf and glutton are to small to fall in pits and can get over, under or through fence. Deadfall traps are the best to trap these types. Placing dogs insode with livestock is the next good line of defense. As to feeding; place a pile of raw meat/fish and bones inside the enclosure, tell dog(s) to eat and they will continue to eat from that spot when hungry. On a side note; the dogs will not really eat much while you are gone for long periods.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 12:03:12 AM »
And dogs don't die of starvation in UrW either, but giving them food is good role playing.

anything