Topic: Grandmaster bowman never hitting target. Why?  (Read 6402 times)

princebunnyboy

« on: November 08, 2018, 03:09:18 PM »
I recently have gotten back into the game, make my character and put a bunch of points into Bows, up to 98 skill. I was fighting a njerp and made a shot, he was about 5 tiles away. I fired a fine arrow out of a fine longbow and it hit my dog. I tried again thinking it was bad luck and hit another dog.

They were leashed to me so they don't run in to die, but now I have a rotting njerp corpse and 2 critically wounded dogs. I figured since they were leashed my character would just shoot over them.

How can I help my 98 bow master to get clean shots? I want to hunt too with my new bow but not if I'm gonna cripple my dogs for weeks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:13:11 PM by princebunnyboy »

davidor

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
Fine bow and arrows of do more damage and don't help accuracy.

98% skill and 5 tile distance should be enough to hit human size target, as long as you don't try aiming at tricky spots. Also keep your injury, fatigue and encumbrance close to 0%

If your dogs are standing in the trajectory, there is a very high chance of hitting the dog instead of the target so try not to let them get in the way.

princebunnyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »
If your dogs are standing in the trajectory, there is a very high chance of hitting the dog instead of the target so try not to let them get in the way.

Even small dogs have a high chance? I figured the game would calculate how big they are to how likely I would be to hit them. Thank you so much for letting me know!

ModernNorseman

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »
Fine bow and arrows of do more damage and don't help accuracy.

Are you completely sure about that fact? :) It very much goes against my experience, but I have to admit, I only have my perception of it from the ingame experiences. I believe that it does increase accuracy quite significantly.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »
I've learnt from experience that there is no such thing as firing over a dog. It's simply something in the way of the arrow, and I doubt UrW takes arrow height trajectory vs intermediate creature height into consideration .
I don't fire arrows when the dog is in front of my character, and avoid it when it's 45% off the target.

Also, keep the factors davidor mentioned in mind, as they can be rather significant when calculating effective skill.

user1805

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
You told that your dor were leashed to you.

I saw this myself, when pets are leashed to you it awfully dimishes your skill in archery. Aditionally your dog were in the way that means with the diminished skill youll have good chance to hit them.

Does it make sense? I think so. And it refers to the huge standard of combat system in this game.

Imagine what, when you try to use a bow and several pets are leashed to you, tearing at you here and there, how to aim?

Now when my dogs are harassing an ememy i step close and aim at the head. And of course the dogs are not leashed.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
This is the first time I see a claim that leashed animals affect your skills. A well trained dog shouldn't affect the skills, but a poorly trained one certainly could.

When fighting Njerps I have the dog leashed and fire arrows at the enemy, as I don't want the dog (or my character) to get hurt, and I usually manage to keep the distance to kill the enemy without getting in danger.

user1805

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
Yes thats a good question. Do I just "claim" that leashed pets diminish the abilies. After you say like this i really dont know. I thought it was like this, my exp.

But what,  the pic you see that its just not necessary to leash your dogs. Do you see it? I did it really small to be available here :) They are not hurt at all, but the Nerp is about over, just examined it today. Why are they running around to be harvested like some berries :) Wont it be smart for them going in groups as the robbers do? But this is not the question HERE.

Do leashed pets diminish you bow abilities? Who in the end knows it definately?

anything