Topic: Stay!... Hey, that's on you!  (Read 6100 times)

Tom H

« on: October 12, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »
I told my Companion to STAY while I tried to meet the Water Spirits at night. When I paddled back, he was floating, dead, in the rapids.

I hired another Companion. He was grievously injured by a Njerp, crippled, and dragged himself back to a shelter. When I crossed the rapids in a punt, he, too, drowned while following.

Is there a better way to make these guys STAY? These guys ruined my perfect record for returning Companions safely to their villages!

Btw, I hired a vagabond while traveling and he left me after we'd reached my homesite. It seems he can't leave the general area, due to the rapids? Anyway, I keep running into him 1 hex from where he left me. He's even returned and walked around in my cabin! He won't re-hire, not yet anyway.

Post Script: I've managed to drown another one. I guess the rule is that if they swim, which they must, there is a limit to their endurance and they'll drown if the raft trip is too long. Bah... Now I'm concerned about my animals drowning!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:52:27 AM by Tom H »

tedomedo

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
Yes, stand command should be changed. If we command someone to stay, he stays only few real seconds. Change this. When we command Stay, dog or companion should stand forever until we say Come or Stop staying.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
Dogs are easy to take care of, as you can leash them and tie them to trees. I don't think you can do that with companions, though...

Tom H

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
Dogs are easy to take care of, as you can leash them and tie them to trees. I don't think you can do that with companions, though...

lol...

Galgana

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
What about building a fence enclosure? But the companion AI probably would climb over it.

JEB Davis

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:34:33 AM »
Sounds like some folks don't want companions, they want slaves  ;)
I like them having some "free will".

Try deconstructing the door on your cabin, and when your companion is inside, construct a wall in the door's place. You might get lucky and trap him.

Tom H

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 03:13:06 AM »
Jeb- My cabin is completely surrounded with fences and traps. Companions waltz right through it all, all the time. I doubt I could build a wall fast enough to wall him in before he randomly left the building. They don't stand still very long....well, maybe a cripple would not move. heh

Anyway, I don't think that's a good option- too gamey for me.

Privateer

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 05:14:03 AM »
 We used to keep our companions in pit traps with broken legs.. but you can't do that anymore. Those were barbaric times  ;)
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

Tom H

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
Wait a sec....Are you guys having me on? lol

PALU

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
I've tried using a zig-zagging trap lined path entry to keep critters from accidentally enter my homestead, but I gave up on that as the dog failed to follow me, so I'd have to fetch it. I don't know if you can fool companion path finding the same way.

anything