Topic: Hurt, helpless and winter! (Challenge)  (Read 8967 times)

Nydxz

« on: August 13, 2018, 01:40:30 AM »
The rules
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=901.0

Background

Kaitto Koivulainen, a farmer from Koivula was tending to the village crops during the Fallow month, as any Koivula usually do. It was peacefull, so peacefull it was boring, he looked over the skies and saw a Goshawk flying about, hunting the pests and vermin that plague the crops every year and started to wonder. "How would it be, to be a Goshawk, free to fly to wherever it feels like?".
Spoiler: show

His daydream was broken has a small group of Kaumolaiset travellers entered the village lands and went foward to talk with the sage, one of their companions was hurt pretty badly during their travel, it seemed like he had a bad encounter with a bear. The village sage treated his wounds and they departed.
 The vision of the brave Kaumolaiset hunters clicked in the young boy's mind, and shortly he departed from his home to seek for adventure, he had some seeds to trade along the north-eastern tribes, also got a few tools from his father.

After many days of travel, he was lost. Not knowing where to go or how to go back, but, he continued fowards anyways.
 Not long after getting lost he saw the figure of persons on the distance and ran their way, what a stupidity I say, they were robbers, they beat him up and took everything he had, even his body clothes. It was the Winter start and Kaitto had no clothes, no food, not even a knife.

The Adventure

"I am lost, every inch of my body hurts and I have serious wounds over all my body, It was foolish of me to depart from the village. What do I have now? No food, no clothes and no water... On top of that am wounded, lost on this unknown place and the Winter is starting!... Think Kaitto, think, what should you do now? Koivula is to the south-east... Yes, south-east is where I should head to. But first I need to find some food, water and wood."

And the young boy departed heading south-east, looking at every place for wood, food and water. Not long after heading south he found some berries and a water pound, so he got the berries even not knowing which berries were those, he drank some water and cleaned his wounds the best of his ability and continued travelling south-east.

As he travelled, he saw in the distance a mountain growing ontop of the pines and spruces that dotted the land and decided to head towards it.
 "I will have better chances to know where I am if I head towards that mountain. Okay, let's go, fast and steady."
 Once reaching the mountain base he started climbing it until the top, just to find out he was nowhere he knew, the land was still strange, unknown and terrifying but he saw a mountain along the south and headed there.

Once again he climbed the mountain only to find nothing.

But he saw a mire that extended as long as his eyes could caught, mires are easier to travel and navigate, and he followed down the mire. It was the 5th day of travel already, Kaitto only had berries to eat and a stone knife, but wasn't going to give up, so he keept travelling.
 For three days more he travelled, roughly towards the south thru the mire until he saw the spirits had not forgotten him, he was not alone, the spirits had given him a way to survive.

He couldn't believe it at the very first look, it was an elk, almost trapped in a bigger pound on the mire, he closed in, trying to mantain the elk at the pond untill he was exausth and then striked.

But the elk ran away after getting slightly hurt by his stone knife. Mindlessly Kaitto started the long chase after the Elk thru the mires. His berries were about to end, he had no more food and the friggid winds already had started to blow.
 He chased the elk thru the mires for days, finally trapping him once again against another pond.

But as it happened before, the Elk managed to run away, but not before some serious wounds were delivered. Kaitto ran after him, as the Elk slowly exhausted himself to the point he couldn't run anymore and so, he managed to kill the Elk, after god knows how many days after the animal.

(I will add to the story as it happens, now Kaitto is tanning and cooking the Elk. All hail Kaitto, the master hunter)

Jakob

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »
An elk, what a godsend!!

Setio

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 06:50:22 PM »
So how is Kaitto now?

Just tried this scenario. Placing character on northern area far away from region. Starvation reach almost 50%. Luckily found settlement with abundant food. Starting produce ton of torches, then survived. Now have arctic fox fur, 2 winter elk fur, and clothes (harsh quality).