Topic: Help with forest spirit quest  (Read 11028 times)

« on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:42 AM »
I've been assigned the quest to summon the spirit of the forest. I finally got my hands on some silver, sacrificed it at an ant nest at night, and waited until the spirit appeared. Sure enough, I got the message saying I sensed the presence of the spirits. I didn't see the spirit (it's currently midwinter, so visibility is extremely limited at night), so I waited a bit longer with no luck. I wandered a couple steps away looking for it; I still didn't see him but he did speak to me.

So that's great, right? Quest complete? Nope. I returned to the guy who assigned me the quest; I still only have the options to ask him about the forest spirit, not to tell him I actually met it. My guess is that maybe I need to actually SEE the spirit. Could that be the problem? Is there a way to complete this quest besides waiting for nights to get brighter, or should I just wait and try again when I can actually see at night?

MrMotorhead

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:11:05 AM »
I think you might be right about seeing the spirit.  I have always [l]ooked at him in each of the 3 times I have completed that quest.  I think you should build a fire and perhaps use a torch to ensure that you have good visibility, some of those winter nights are super dark.

Here is a picture from Ulf's recent summoning ceremony.  He spent most of the day gathering down wood for a large fire.

Ulf thought a heathland would be the best place to summon the spirit, due to better visibility.  Got a great sign during the day too, a goshawk chased after a grouse.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
Yep, turns out a torch was all I needed. Now to find the elk the spirit told me about! :)

PALU

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
Yep, turns out a torch was all I needed. Now to find the elk the spirit told me about! :)
Huh? Did you actually get something out of it?
My quest was a disappointment in that after finally getting that blasted silver I performed the ritual, saw the spirit, and didn't get anything of use out of it beyond the ability to report the quest back as accomplished. Thus, I've written the ritual off as a waste of silver (in particular as the morning sacrifice of meat caused the midnight sacrifice of silver to be considered offensive, which I definitely hadn't expected). I believe my character was at very good terms with the spirits at the time of the quest.

Summoning the water spirit has been similarly pointless beyond the quest fulfillment, but at least it doesn't cost hard to acquire resources. I stopped doing it as it seemed rather pointless.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »
Huh? Did you actually get something out of it?
My quest was a disappointment in that after finally getting that blasted silver I performed the ritual, saw the spirit, and didn't get anything of use out of it beyond the ability to report the quest back as accomplished.
Yeah, I was rewarded with a new ritual. I'm not entirely certain what it does or how useful it is, but the description says "the forest can be persuaded not to hide its thingies when going hunting", so I'm guessing it makes animals more likely to appear?

MrMotorhead

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »
Ulf is the only survivor I've seen use that ritual and it seemed very effective.  Ulf settled on a small lake in the far north, seal tribe territory, in a heavily forested area with mountains ranges to all four sides.  In the three months that he has settled there game has been much more scarce than the many months prior that he was wandering the world.  With midwinter just a week away, Ulf made some bread and sacrificed it as instructed.  He was a tiny bit worried as he was told to leave the bread my a spruce tree on a hill or cliff, but the nearby hills had only young spruce trees growing on them.  Hoping for the best he pushed the bread under the branches of one such young spruce tree and spoke the words as instructed, "Klaatu verata necktie", close enough at least.  Walking to the mountain peak just a kilometer away he saw a bear, an elk and a reindeer in the distance.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:10:30 AM »
My character has gotten that ritual as a reward for something else, I think. Unfortunately, the closest cliff is a day and a half away, so it has never been used.
It just struck me, though, that it might be interesting to see if it works for robber/wounded adventurer quests when those happen to appear in locations close to a cliff or mountain.

keen

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
How do you make the actual sacrifice? I got a silver ring, came to ant nest at night dropped the ring and pushed it into nest. nothing happened :(

PALU

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
I can't say for certain, but I think my character stood on the ant nest and dropped the ring and then waited. I.e. dropping rather than pushing, and standing on the nest rather than beside it.

keen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
I can't say for certain, but I think my character stood on the ant nest and dropped the ring and then waited. I.e. dropping rather than pushing, and standing on the nest rather than beside it.

nope, tried that and nothing :(

davidor

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
you need to stand on the nest and using the silver with general sacrifice in f4

PALU

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 02:59:48 PM »
you need to stand on the nest and using the silver with general sacrifice in f4
Thanks for correcting my poor advice.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »
I had a similar issue as the OP, and I can confirm that the character must actually SEE the spirit of the woods.  It may even be necessary to use the "Look" command, as I did, and observe the characteristics.  Simple talking or sensing of the spirit is not enough to complete the quest.  As others have suggested, I recommend building one or more large fires and carrying a torch.

LyubenART

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »
Hey, pals I've also done this task what it takes is any silver item + night time + f4 general sacrifice, then you must wait, there is no guarantee the spirit will always show up but you can perform the general sacrifice with a silver item indefinitely, so he will eventually show himself. As already mentioned you must actually look at him and wait for him to talk to you, he told me that "His flock would come to me" which makes me think that as a hunter and trapper my character will have good luck! He also looked pleased. So all in all cool little task.

anything