Topic: Getting fatigued while... walking?  (Read 8328 times)

Bakkat

« on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:45 AM »
Got this new Character and after a battle i noticed that walking would get her fatigued.

The injuries are not serious, none has reached the yellow colour.
( minor puncture in right hip
  Bruise in right shoulder
  Bruise in left hip x 2)

Every 20 meters of walking i receive a -1% in fatigue.

What could be the issue here?

Walking normally helps recover a fatigated character.
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

Edico

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:58 AM »
Is there heavy snow on the ground?

PALU

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »
Have you double checked that you haven't enabled "Running" by mistake? That fatigue loss rate is similar to the running one.

Also, as Edico mentions, deep snow causes fatigue to increase, in particular if your character is extremely loaded down with loot from those who caused the injuries...

A third alternative is that you're hauling something (e.g. the body of a slain enemy by mistake?).

Bakkat

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
No running nor hauling.

Even beeing spring there is snow, so it surely might be it. Thanks, it was simplier than i thought.
"When All the rivers get poisoned....
...Then we'll realize"

Edico

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »
Snow is actually deepest right at the end of winter/start of spring. Waist height snow you have to pause and rest every so often unless you have skis.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
Fatigue due to snow and skis was revamped fairly recently, with walking in deep snow getting a larger penalty than before, while skiing is getting a lesser one.

My current character (with a maxed out endurance) is able to ski through open terrain without gaining fatigue, while forest builds up some fatigue, recovered on open terrain. All that is assuming "normal" carrying load, not weighted down with trade goods or hunting results. A 100% skiing skill helps as well.

It should also be noted that NPCs do not seem to be affected by snow at all, and since you can't run on skis (ignoring an odd bug/exploit) they'll catch up unless they're very heavily weighted down.

Edico

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
Njerpez seem to fatigue very fast in snow...maybe I'll test runaway slave in different seasons. NPCs aren't wise about switching between run and sprint mode though, so if you can make it away from the initial rush you're usually ok

JEB Davis

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but IRL carrying 50 or 100 or 200 pounds has always fatigued me when I walk around, whether at age 16 or 26 or 36, whether on dry ground or waist-deep snow. Maybe it was different in the Iron Age, who knows?

PALU

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
None of my Njerps seem to be affected by snow in any way. However, running is racking up fatigue quickly if they have more than a light load, and most of mine have been lightly loaded, so they've caught up more often than I like.

If I remember correctly, the runaway slave Njerps were typically carrying a medium to high load, so they were possible to tire over a reasonable distance (but it was a real pain to actually manage to escape in the first place).

@JEB Davis:
Yes, the loads the characters are carrying while still able to walk at a decent pace is impressive. One thing that was different in the Iron age is that everyone were subject to a lot of hard work, and so were probably incredibly more fit than the couch potatoes of our age. Still, I suspect the UrW model is on the forgiving side of things.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but IRL carrying 50 or 100 or 200 pounds has always fatigued me when I walk around, whether at age 16 or 26 or 36, whether on dry ground or waist-deep snow. Maybe it was different in the Iron Age, who knows?
I can speak to this one.  For several years I worked as an elite wildland firefighter, battling forest fires in some of the most remote areas of the world.  We were often without support for weeks at a time, so all of our gear had to be carried in with us.  A standard day-to-day load would be about 60 pounds, and we would often carry as much as 180 pounds or more. 

I think that UnReal World actually does a decent job of modelling heavy pack loads.  Once you become accustomed to the weight, it does not necessarily continually fatigue you - however, it does slow and hinder everything that you do.  Now, of course, all elite firefighters must conform to a high standard of fitness.  Some people might say that it is unrealistic that Iron Age characters would have such high levels of fitness, but actually I think it is the opposite.  Our lifestyle as wildland firefighters is actually probably much closer to a prehistoric lifestyle than to a modern man.  All day is spent in the woods, tromping around and trying to survive.  There is no way to become more fit and mentally tough.  I would imagine that even UnReal characters with somewhat low Endurance and Strength are probably still more fit than the average sedentary modern person. 

Still, climbing up mountains whilst carrying 100+ pounds is always taxing.  A more realistic approach would probably be sort of a "weighted scale" if you will.  Weaker characters become more easily fatigued whilst bearing heavy loads, while stronger/tougher characters tire more slowly.  All characters fatigue more quickly whilst travelling across hills, and climbing a mountain should tax all but the strongest characters to the limit and take significantly more time than crossing a meadow.

anything