Topic: Robbers ruin my early game  (Read 20916 times)

Kaleva

« on: February 25, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
I dont know how to deal with the robbers, who come in groups of 3 and you cant shoot before the stupid conversation the player character just stands there until they introduce themselves. Then they stab me, take my stuff and stab my dog and Ive spent hours of gameplay and its a sudden end.
Problem is you cant run away before they are right next to the PC.
Disapointing.

koteko

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
I've been having my newest characters bothered a lot by robbers, too. But to be honest I've kind of appreciated it - the game was a bit too easy, and now I got to survive winter half-naked and with a stone knife and stone axe (luckily my cabin was done!). It can be a very frustrating setback if you like the character though. Still better than a njerpez kill..

One thing though: I always hit them first now, after unsuccessfully trying to run away. Haven't had the "conversation" with them in a long time. Maybe you don't have an arrow/javelin wielded, or they are too close to you? I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to do a ranged hit when they approach.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »
Robbers come in groups of 3 to 6. I usually manage to get away (I never walk up to an "adventurer" on the overland map, but rather zoom in and walk towards the location, so I usually see them as the appear in the distance, and can zoom out and leave).
I haven't had any problem with shooting them first (which I do on robber quests once I have located them and gathered a posse [nobody but my character may use a missile weapon]). You may be able to run, but they're fast runners. Once they've got you, the best thing is to yield, in which case they steal your good stuff, but won't hurt you or your dog (and I think it may be possible to cheat by dropping your good stuff on the ground and pick it up after they've told you to run). If you fight (and don't have backup) they typically manage to beat you into unconsciousness (and sometimes death), steal your good stuff, kill your dog (unless it somehow managed to flee) and dump you half dead somewhere.
It's possible to kill robbers with hit and run tactics, but it's extremely hard without a fast character (and very hard with one).
If you run into them in hyperspace and are yanked out of hyper warp yes, they'll be right on top of you as you're zoomed in.

Kaleva

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
Thanks for fast answer.
Another thing, my dogs keep disappearing when hunting. They chase the game until both of them disappear until forever.
A bug?

JEB Davis

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
snip... (and I think it may be possible to cheat by dropping your good stuff on the ground and pick it up after they've told you to run). ... snip
Have you (or anyone else) been able to do this successfully? The only time I tried it was in Mik's story, and it certainly did not work for him.

PALU

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:48:57 PM »
snip... (and I think it may be possible to cheat by dropping your good stuff on the ground and pick it up after they've told you to run). ... snip
Have you (or anyone else) been able to do this successfully? The only time I tried it was in Mik's story, and it certainly did not work for him.
I've had one case where I was able to pick up the stuff later (after healing up and killing the robbers, I think) and another when I wasn't.  I think the case where I was successful was one where my character resisted and possibly tried to flee. Anyway, the character was at least some bit away from the dropped stuff when they managed to beat him unconscious.

Also, the beggar tactics is useful for robber quests, i.e. leave your good stuff at the homestead and wear/use second rate stuff (e.g. taken from Njerps and robbers). If you can't get away from the robbers, yield and let them take whatever junk they want, if any. The last time I tried it they did take my woolen mitten, though, as I'd screwed up my character outfit (the also took some expendable tool, so I had to return back to the homestead to reequip, as those robbers weren't the ones I was looking for, but ones found on the way and investigated carelessly as the outfit was suitable for yielding).

After having lost a dog to a reindeer I don't send dogs after prey... Following the tracks ought to eventually lead you to the dog ('s remains) I think. I believe this situation is what the hunting horn is for, though: to all on your dog(s) when they're too far away to hear you (UrW dogs seem to have their hearing reduced to human levels).

Kaleva

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
Hunting horn? Never seen that in the game.

trento007

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »
http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting_Horn

I will usually make sure to let two dogs loose to chase after larger animals as even a single kick of an elk (or similar) can wound your dog to the point of unconsciousness, and if particularly aggressive it will continue to kill your dog. The second dog can stop this or provide enough threat to allow a wounded dog to retreat. Often times dogs will not be fast enough  to chase them down or will get outmaneuvered in dense forests, so it is advisable only let dogs go after prey that you have already wounded which will then have a more difficult time escaping. Otherwise you risk your dog running off in who knows what direction and having little tracks to follow, losing your dog. Although in my experience most of the dogs that have gotten lost linger in the area and with enough searching you should be able to find them nearby.

Roheline

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:31 AM »
The hunting horn isn't super common, but I have encountered them in game, and they're surprisingly cheap!

I did actually try it out once after my dogs had run off and didn't seem to hear my calls, and the dogs returned soon after. Whether it was the horn or they happened to be coming back anyway I don't know. I'll need to do more testing.

Dungeon Smash

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 05:40:07 AM »
would be cool to be able to craft your own hunting horn, after butchering a bull or a ram

Kaleva

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
About the robbers,
Do they intrude to my settlement eventually?
Should I hide some backup tools/stuff?

PALU

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
About the robbers,
Do they intrude to my settlement eventually?
Should I hide some backup tools/stuff?
Not "eventually", but they can enter "randomly", although Njerps are much more common. I.e., they don't home in on your settlement.
You can actually use the opposite tactics (I think): leave a huge, heavy pile of weapons for them to take, and they might get so loaded down that they're a lot easier to kill. I believe that's why my (old and long dead) character survived when robbers came around, actually.

Kaleva

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
ok thanks for the help

new problem:
I am told that there is a treasúre in Artreitti in spruce mire island. Am in the only spruce mire island in the artreitti but there is no 3 big rocks forming a triangle at all. is it possible that the treasure and the three Stones ran out of time/ expired? it took many days to reach the destination anyways.

PALU

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
No, treasure rewards are not quests, and do not expire. However, I think it's possible for someone else randomly stumble upon the treasure and take it (I've heard it's possible for PCs to find treasures without having been told about them. Even if someone has taken the treasure the stones would still stand (and I assume there would be a hole in the ground).
Note that these triangles are just large enough to fit a tile in, i.e.
.B.
B.B

Kaleva

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
Ive played the same mission succesfully several times but now there is simple no big rocks forming a triangle. It says boulders, i guess thats big rocks.

EDIT; broken arrow. Trash?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:04:15 PM by Kaleva »