Topic: Effin' lynx.  (Read 3934 times)

favomancer

« on: June 20, 2023, 08:01:23 PM »
I've managed to build myself a nice little homestead with a log pen for my cow (because two characters ago my beloved Mustikka got eaten by another lynx) and ... yes, it's lynxes again.

This tufty-eared stinker is prowling around my homestead, growling and snarling. It charged at me once. I think it would eat my cow Mansikki if I didn't have her in a secure pen instead of fenced-in.

Given that lynxes can climb fences, how do I trap this feline embuggerance?

I'm thinking of going to one of the nearby Driik villages, buying a hog, and then keeping it in a pen inside my homestead and lining the fences about with pit traps. Would that work?

Matti-patti

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:16 PM »
I don't think trap pits catch lynxes, I have seen them plenty of time in other traps I have had besides my trap fences but never in the pits. In addition it seems these days critters can bypass incompatible traps so they no longer work as magic fences.

The easy way to keep your animal safe for any amount of time is to tie them to a tree in a nearby village. Then you could just have a single trap somewhere near your homestead and wait until the Lynx gets into that, then you can bring the animal back in.

The elaborate solution would be to to make a pen for your animal and then surround that with rings various of traps. You could have one ring of pits (or bear traps), one ring of heavy deadfalls and one ring of small deadfalls. One of those is bound to work. :D

favomancer

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 10:52:26 PM »
Deadfalls. Of course!

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 02:21:59 AM »
Yes indeed. Big deadfall. I dot even try to chase lynxes when spotted in the wild. Just build a big deadfall. Bait. Return in 24-48h and bonk the lynx on the noggin.

Plotinus

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
Dogs can also help alert you when the lynx approaches, but a lynx can kill a dog.

It's kinda cheating but if there's a lynx around and I'm not well set up yet, I sleep with my animnals leashed on the worldmap because fighting can only happen while zoomed in :)

PALU

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 09:00:24 AM »
My protection method is to build a stable (a 3*3 or other shape building with one or more fence tiles "inside" to allow you to tie down animals inside of it). Bears can open doors, but not other predators.

The immediate solution is to build appropriate sized deadfall traps and bait them with fresh meat (or fat). I'd build them so they're in the various directions the nuisances can approach from.
I think lynx can be caught in the two mid sized deadfall trap types, but not bear or pit traps. My current character has caught a lynx in a wolf trap (the second largest type, after bear trap).

favomancer

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 12:21:39 AM »
My protection method is to build a stable (a 3*3 or other shape building with one or more fence tiles "inside" to allow you to tie down animals inside of it). Bears can open doors, but not other predators.

The immediate solution is to build appropriate sized deadfall traps and bait them with fresh meat (or fat). I'd build them so they're in the various directions the nuisances can approach from.
I think lynx can be caught in the two mid sized deadfall trap types, but not bear or pit traps. My current character has caught a lynx in a wolf trap (the second largest type, after bear trap).

BEARS can open doors? We're doomed. We're all doomed. I just built my cow and sheep a nice "barn" and now I have to put a giganto deadfall in front of it. Brr imagine a bear opening the door to my home and being all "Y HALO THAR".

JP_Finn

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 01:55:03 AM »
If bear shows up to your cabin, at least you don’t have to haul the skin and meat before getting smoking (or drying) and tanning.

Call it “a high calorie food home delivery”

favomancer

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »
"Operation: Stake a poor hog out and wait for the lynx to attack" actually worked. I poked it to death with a spear while it yowled under the deadfall. I have since named the hog Lantti (for "lanttu", rutabaga). She is currently hanging out and pooping and I hope to manure my fields with the poop.

I mean it HAS to do something, right, else it wouldn't be in the game. The poop, I mean. I'm spending enough time carrying it out of their barn so it doesn't get too gross in there.

cookie

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 02:48:42 PM »
Lynxes are why dogs exist. They might be able to kill a dog but, when I've had 2 or 3 or more dogs inside my fenceline, any lynxes who come by just run away.]

That's when you bait a big deadfall and hope they get more greedy than you are bad at traps...