Topic: [Outdated] [3.80] Community Mod BAC  (Read 14814 times)

Brygun

« on: June 09, 2023, 03:28:04 AM »
This is an old thread.

Next version is at
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=7176.0

>>>
BAC is a community mega mod for Unreal World. It contains work from many contributors across many versions of Unreal World gong all the way back to Rain's amazing iron mod. There have been multiple caretakers and may be others in the future. Text files list various contributors.

Im doing the update for 3.80.

A fresh BAC thread to continue the updating for the current vanilla game. Each game update may cause "collision" by taking up base menu numbers or changing some mechanic.
3.72 vanilla did a much needed change on cordage types that needed an overall beyond my own time to due. Thanks to Armion and Rudy for doing the update then.
3.80 is added minor changes to how arrows can be made, which BAC already had in its own form, and adding a lumber option for a less than board piece of flat wood called "slat"

The first few posts are being reserved for later notes that tend to be needed.

As only the original creator of thread post #1 can adjust its attachments while it will initially be the current 3.80 BAC version you may need to check the end posts for any updates by anyone else.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:31:59 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 03:28:15 AM »
BAC for prior versions

3.72 and look toward the end for the final updates
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6816.0

3.63 version
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=4712.0

Brygun

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 03:28:22 AM »
reserved 1

Brygun

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 03:28:31 AM »
reserved 1

Brygun

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 04:50:30 AM »
Version 3.80 with 2023-06-08

Initial integration with new vanilla arrows.

There are some quirky things.

The .Arrow. recipe itself isn't in the diy_glossary so it can't be viewed and I can't see things like the time taken or skill modifier.

Also a new menu letter "A" was used which worrisome for mega mods like BAC. Currently we have the space. However I don't currently know a way to remove the use of letter "A" and with the .Arrow. not being in diy_glossary I can't move it out of it.

Some there is a bug that A for Arrow menu is just .Arrow. and all the other bits are under fletching. While it might get moved later my initial time allotment is the simplest path was to update the BAC fletching menu.

Testing of arrow making is needed to see how things go with the vanilla vs remaining BAC entries.

For reference a copy of BAC_3_80_w_2023-06-08 is attached below.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 04:56:37 AM by Brygun »

Brygun

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:00:03 AM »
Known issue:

BAC made Broadheads need to be made into arrows by the BAC Broadhead recipe under Fletching.

Vanilla Arrow menu Arrow won't see them.

integration with the Smithing items called "broadhead" and "arrowhead" needs work.

Currently you can make broadheads by BAC smithing but they arent the base game object as it didn't exist before

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 05:06:15 AM by Brygun »

ByteHammer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 11:37:58 PM »
Quick bug report:

Arrows and Armors of Leather and Fur share a letter. When selecting Armors of Leather and Fur, even from the list, the only product is "Arrow".

Brygun

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 05:44:05 AM »
2023-06-09 update

Finding that the [A] for Arrow is hard coded the fletching and bowying is now all moved to there

[J] used for the armor menu overlap mentioned by Bytehammer

Broadhead smithing now uses the new base object and figured out how to get them into the vanilla make arrow recipe under arrow

Fur fletched and forked arrow are still independent things. Fur isnt with Sami's system yet. Not sure on the forked arrows.

Metal smithing now includes recovering iron and steel from existing things. This is based on smiths would collect or be paid in rusty objects which they would forge back into useful things. It can be exploited based on how the modding language works though. Bit of an honor item there.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 06:17:24 AM »
I noticed that in some metal work recipes there's a call for medieval drill. I'm all but certain that any historical smith would've used a non-heated metal punch through heated (same*) metal sheet. Fast&simple. No need to sharpen drill to no end. And to get lot of shavings to gather for re-melting to ingot, lot easier to collect punch-off discs.

To forge to rectangle, twist, harden, quench, sharpen*2, use, sharpen, use, sharpen, use, hey got a hole in this sheet!
Compared to, forge to a round rod flat tapered end, quench, temper, punch through hot sheet. Bam another hole, bam, another hole. Cool punch, reheat sheet.

* bronze, iron, steel punch works for any period available heated metal.
*2 remember to have access to a file too!  :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:02:13 PM by JP_Finn »

Brygun

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 06:56:05 AM »
The medieval drill BAC refers to is also known as a pump drill. It does exist in the time period of Unreal World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYkyfKHXw1w&ab_channel=DIYCimbrer

For the punch in hot that is one technique if you are putting a hole in metal. The drill could also be used as wood though mostly its for the metal working. BAC is set that drill is used for small precision holes and the auger for large structural holes.

The metal drilling in BAC is largely for making armor. Sometimes its for leather times and others as rivet holes. For riveting the hole needs to be close in size. Query on how accurate the sizing of punch holes would be.

It is interesting to hear of different techniques.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:58:33 AM by Brygun »

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 06:01:27 PM »
Basics of smithing, punching

After the metal sheet cools down, it also shrinks a little, so the hole can end up be fraction larger than the punch. Generally speaking the size difference is very, very small, the actual rivets should be skinnier than the punch used for the holes. 

If you have seen horned anvil, you've might noticed they often have 2 holes on the face.
One round (pritchel) and one square (hardy), the square is used to place a swage, for bending/working an angle, OR cutting hot bar/rod, sometimes a U fork for bending. The round pritchel hole is there mainly for clearance for punching holes.
There's also some tools with round shank, but they're less stable than square shank in square hardy hole.

Edit: Forgot a warning: Going to the link above at Anvilfire, can lead you to a deep rabbit hole of smithing knowledge and techniques, you might end up building your own forge! Beware.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 06:23:18 PM by JP_Finn »

boyant

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »
Recipes were redone (in a more complicated fashion) in order to get around the hard-coded limitation on clothing quality.
I really want to just remove that cap in vanilla. Is there a way to do that?

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2023, 09:34:22 AM »
Recipes were redone (in a more complicated fashion) in order to get around the hard-coded limitation on clothing quality.
I really want to just remove that cap in vanilla. Is there a way to do that?

In diy_glossary.txt scroll to the bottom, Clothing is last I think. You’ll see the .apparel names. And on the same line there’s *COMMON* change that to *HIDEWORKING* or *TEXTILECRAFT*

Do note: you also need to have fine or superior ingredients or you won’t be making fine or masterwork clothes.

boyant

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2023, 11:18:47 AM »

In diy_glossary.txt scroll to the bottom, Clothing is last I think. You’ll see the .apparel names. And on the same line there’s *COMMON* change that to *HIDEWORKING* or *TEXTILECRAFT*

Do note: you also need to have fine or superior ingredients or you won’t be making fine or masterwork clothes.

Already did that before posting here. So either im really unlucky with my rolls or it's not enough to just change used skill.

Brygun

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2023, 11:29:46 PM »
Basics of smithing, punching

After the metal sheet cools down, it also shrinks a little, so the hole can end up be fraction larger than the punch. Generally speaking the size difference is very, very small, the actual rivets should be skinnier than the punch used for the holes. 

I might integrate that idea. Havent gone yes yet and havent gone no.

I think Id want to add another tool like a "punch set" to be made from "iron shape". so 2 step from billets.

Looking at the steel dome recipe it is at 2 hours based on what it took me in real life to dish out the bowl for my roundshield boss. However I didnt add in the time for drilling the holes which was done modern style with an electric drill once I got home from the armouring workshop.

anything