Topic: [Fixed - persists in 3.81] Weird requested trade goods answer  (Read 7023 times)

PALU

« on: May 30, 2023, 12:46:27 PM »
Standard question (to receive blacksmith order):
"What of my items you'd prefer in this trade?"

Weird answer:
"I think we could come to an agreement if you could give me your
."

With the formatting as per the above on my wide full screen display. For some reason the blacksmith seems to be unable to find the name of the item.

I don't have any mod items, although I've replaced a number of images (to better see missiles), and replaced character portraits with third party ones.

Further:

However, I believe this to be caused by me earlier having performed a quest for the village, and the fine small knife being fully covered by that. I didn't get an option to claim an outstanding reward, however, but eventually (after backing out of a trade), settled for a squirrel skin, after which I was told the trade covered two thirds of my reward. Thus, I think there's a need to add a bit to allow for the case that rewards cover it all, as I can't get away with offering nothing (and have the reward covering the full value).

I don't know if it's an issue, but as I backed out of the first step of the trade I had the option to trade against the blacksmith's inventory, which contained the knife ordered. I I hope the logic is capable of realizing the ordered goods have been payed for when gotten through ordinary trade and when additional goods were purchased at the same time. I didn't experiment with either, though.

As a side note, I was pleased to find that the small knife now has a use as the preferred item for arrow shaft production (and possibly other things), as I don't think it did have any use beyond being a knife before. I'm also pleased to see grain harvest prefers a sickle, although that was probably the case before.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:22:33 PM by Sami »

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 05:24:04 PM »
Grain harvest has preferred sickle for several versions. Small knife has been preferred tool for harvesting bark, and making birchbark caps and shoes. Most other crafts regular knife was preferred pre-3.80.

It's great to have more tasks for the small knife. I find myself looking for a smith or ready made small knife now. Not just the mandatory broad or hunting knife.

I noticed that trading with the blacksmith seems to work smoother than collecting ordered item. Especially when ordering fishing hooks and arrow heads. You can split the order, no need to over extended paying for 6 perfect hooks, just get 2.
I'll try to trigger quest with a smith in town and see what happens with unused reward.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 09:01:03 PM »
Standard question (to receive blacksmith order):
"What of my items you'd prefer in this trade?"

Weird answer:
"I think we could come to an agreement if you could give me your
."

Is the situation still on and reproducible, and have you got a save that I might have a look?
- Sami | UnReal World creator

PALU

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 08:37:48 AM »
I finished the trade, so the situation isn't available any longer and have spent a week or so back at my homestead. I'll zip up the save in case you want it anyway, but my guess is that it's too late.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
I finished the trade, so the situation isn't available any longer and have spent a week or so back at my homestead. I'll zip up the save in case you want it anyway, but my guess is that it's too late.

It's too late, but if it happens again then let's proceed with the save checking. Thanks.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 11:20:53 PM »
I tried to duplicate this. Got a task to deliver a message, and before I delivered it, I commissioned the smith to produce a MW small knife. Ran the errand, was awarded 6 squirrel hides worth or product. Waited 4 days. And day of collection the Smith tells me "something came up"
The early night, before collection day, he said completed by later afternoon.
There's something iffy.
Greet in chat only gives option to ask about if the small knife is done. Going through Help/Metalworks and the smith says he's too busy and can't take orders. Now the only known Master smith is locked up  :-\

PALU

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 08:33:07 AM »
My experience with the "something came up" situation is that the order is discarded and the smith remains locked up for some time (I think I waited another full production time period before visiting again), after which amnesia sets in and the smith is again open for business. Thus, I think you'll only suffer from denial of service for a limited period.

Someone mentioned that the(?) commissioned item was found among the general goods in the village after such a failure, so it might be worth it to look around to see if you can buy your item that way.

JP_Finn

• Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 05:53:02 PM »
My experience with the "something came up" situation is that the order is discarded and the smith remains locked up for some time (I think I waited another full production time period before visiting again), after which amnesia sets in and the smith is again open for business. Thus, I think you'll only suffer from denial of service for a limited period.

Someone mentioned that the(?) commissioned item was found among the general goods in the village after such a failure, so it might be worth it to look around to see if you can buy your item that way.

Look at that, 3 barns over, there's a masterwork small knife laying on the floor. That smith should incur a reputation penalty for not delivering a promised item :P

PALU

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »
Congratulations for getting your hands on you ordered item!

I think the smith HAS received a reputation loss due to his actions: YOU don't trust him to deliver as promised!

PALU

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 12:23:14 AM »
I managed to replicate the issue and sent a save to Sami. He's responded that he now understand exactly where the problem is and that it will be fixed, so there shouldn't be a need for others to send him any additional saves.

Sami

• UnReal World creator
  • Administrator
  • UnReal World creator
    • View Profile
    • UnReal World
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 06:22:13 PM »
Yep, thanks to PALU's save we got this issue sorted out and fixed.

It's so that quest rewards are discounted from the final blacksmith product prices, but the blacksmiths don't bring this up in their dialogue - and also didn't always take it into account exactly as they should. Now if the reward compensated the whole price it resulted in the trade preference being blanked (ie. "..give me your .").
Now blacksmiths will speak about how much the possible reward compensates, and give items truly for free with applicable rewards.

"Something came up ..." is a different story and the main cause of that has been also fixed as described here:
http://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=7073.0

Fixed - persists in 3.81

anything