Topic: WEATHELORE CAN INCREASE!  (Read 3588 times)

GrimmSpector

« on: May 02, 2023, 03:06:10 AM »
Sorry for the caps, freaking out here finding out that you CAN increase weatherlore, omg! LOL! Never in my time playing has it ever!

https://imgur.com/a/Gddgov8

PALU

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 09:07:48 AM »
Yes, it can. I've had several characters who'd reached 100% (they lived a fair number of years). My standard routine is to use Weatherlore every time my character eats (and Herb Lore as well, until reaching 100%), apart from the very early game where I'm spending all available time trying to get food in one way or another.

You can also improve dodge by dodging a lot (but reaching 100% is a lot of work using cheesy techniques.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 10:21:31 AM »
I still cannot see why weatherlore is a skill, fire lighting skill would at least be useful.

GrimmSpector

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 03:47:27 PM »
Yes, it can. I've had several characters who'd reached 100% (they lived a fair number of years). My standard routine is to use Weatherlore every time my character eats (and Herb Lore as well, until reaching 100%), apart from the very early game where I'm spending all available time trying to get food in one way or another.

You can also improve dodge by dodging a lot (but reaching 100% is a lot of work using cheesy techniques.

I weatherlore every morning and evening, and whenever I have to wait to recover fatigue to move if I have nothing else I can do that's productive.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 05:03:59 PM »
I carry a snare for fatigue recovery activities when I don't have anything productive to do. It doesn't sky rocket the trapping skill, though, but there is a trickle improvement.

Weatherlore can be used to determine whether to set up a rain shelter for the night while traveling, as well as to determine whether is seems like a bad idea to venture out in the middle of the winter if you haven't gotten hold of enough clothing items to deal with the coldest periods. It can also be used to try to determine whether you should try to cross frozen bodies of water during spring, assuming you don't want to risk getting caught on the other side after a day of intense melting.

I do agree with Tinker that means of improving the ability to light fires would be welcome, though, whether through skill or technology.

Bert Preast

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 06:35:21 PM »
A snare to recover fatigue!  In thousands of hours, that's never occurred to me.  Thank you Palu!

Making fire needs some work, yes.  If you've no tinder or flint and are reduced to rubbing sticks together, it should be a lot harder.  Especially in the rain, and it most certainly should not be something that recovers fatigue while you do it.  I read that many primitive cultures used to carry a smouldering piece of dung with them to facilitate the process.  Maybe with the new addition of dung, that could be a use for it.