Topic: Fixing fishing nets  (Read 3813 times)

Kreivos

« on: March 18, 2023, 06:22:47 PM »
With yarn being in the game I think it would make sense for the player to be able to fix worn fishing nets, as maintaining and mending one's nets would be a commonplace activity for a fisherman of the period. Yay or nay?

Privateer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 08:41:40 PM »
 But then wouldn't nets need to potentially fail more catastrophically? Not just wear, but tear, snag, tangle. Requiring potentially many hours of repairs.
To help is it's own reward.
Mods:
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=10 Player Quests, Arrow quiver, Bee hives honey & mead, Massive menus, Fish Farmer, Combat trainer, Player made markers, Weaving, Wood stacks, Chicken coop Fish cuts, string&bone.

JP_Finn

• Honorary Lifetime Supporter
  • Thawed Finn in SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 04:10:43 AM »
Not necessarily Privateer. There’s no catastrophic fur&leather garment breakage either. Yet we can keep them in working order.

Keeping nets in working order would help with hermit style characters that want to minimize human interactions and I think it would add to immersion too.

Kreivos

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
But then wouldn't nets need to potentially fail more catastrophically? Not just wear, but tear, snag, tangle. Requiring potentially many hours of repairs.

I think that'd be a good idea. I really don't know enough of the inner mechanics of the game to know how best to go about this, but I wouldn't mind having larger penalties on net condition or having it being tangled due to lack of fishing skills, and being forced to mend and fix them.

PALU

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:53:03 AM »
It seems net maintenance is a significant part of real life net fishing. Remove sea weed and other things tangled into it, mending holes, etc., making net fishing more of an effort than just set net and then pick it up later "for free".

Tinker

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 10:03:30 AM »
I was thinking about this last week when my fine net was suddenly changed to being inferior.

I created a repair net recipe which took a net, a load of thin cord and half a day. I did not get my fine net back but I  did get an undamaged decent one.

anything