Topic: Find map location from message log?  (Read 3530 times)

Bert Preast

« on: February 18, 2023, 03:08:29 PM »
I seem to have lost my fleet of cows.  I parked them up somewhere while I went to attack a Njerp village, and now I can't remember where.

In the message log I can see that I tied them to a tree, and there is an alpha-numeric code for the entry.  Can I use this code to find the map location, or do I just have to keep looking?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 06:04:15 PM »
I believe there are ways to convert the code into a location, although I've never used it or known how. The info ought to be somewhere on the forum, though, as I believe usage of it has been discussed.

For the future, you may want to consider leaving a map marker on the world tile where you left whatever important things you drop off somewhere. That makes it a lot easier to find your way back. Also, when possible, leaving them somewhere distinct may help as well (close to the shore of a river, for instance), although you often don't have that option.

Plotinus

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 08:13:00 PM »
(008000):b2hf:[=]{0232031F}      | Your character has been saved.

Half of this number is how far south you are from the top of the map, and theother half of the number is how east you are, from the left edge of the map.

I cannot remember which is which, so what i do is i look at the last line of msglog.txt to find out where i am, and then i go a step south (on the world map) and drink a sip of water so that there will be a new msg and see which number changed.

From there it is a matter of counting. Half of my number is 0232 and the other half is 031F, and maybe i left my things at 02400400, so i will need to go southeast -- either mostly south and a tiny bit east, or mostly east and a tiny bit south. the counting is in hexadecimal so 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 23A, 23B, 23C, 23D, 23E, 23F, 240 = 14 steps in that direction and 225 steps in the other direction.

Just keep taking sips of water or eating food now and then to check your progress and adjust your course.

Bert Preast

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 01:37:54 AM »
Good to know it can be done, if not easily!

Tragically I have come to believe that my cows are not merely lost, but victims of supernatural forces*

*See the bug forum  :D

anything