Topic: Issues running Unreal World on Ubuntu  (Read 5737 times)

LuchyMane

« on: December 25, 2022, 12:01:15 AM »
So first off: I'm new to Ubuntu, and only installed it on this laptop a few months ago and rarely use it.

I installed Unreal World and tried to run it-nothing happened. I clicked on the icon a couple more times and waited for it to run, thinking it was taking a moment and nothing happens. I do some Googling and find a post on Steam saying I need the sdl2 mixer, library and image-I uninstalled the game, downloaded those with the terminal and reinstall UrW-still nothing. I then saw something about running it through the terminal to get more info on what's happening, and I get this:

> Running under: Linux
 > Entering The UnReal World RPG Version 3.63
 > App data dir is: '/usr/share/urw3'
 > App home dir is: '/home/valerie/.config/urw3-Linux'
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-version.c: 204: _dl_check_map_versions: Assertion `needed != NULL' failed!

After Googling around for the inconsistency, I see few different results saying things which either conflict with each other a bit or I'm not Ubuntu literate enough to really understand what I need to do. I also tried using GDebi like I saw in a forum post here after searching, but it said all dependencies were satisfied. Does anyone know what's wrong? Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: removed SOLVED title to reflect new issues+avoid creating a new thread
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:13:55 PM by LuchyMane »

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 07:47:55 PM »
In a terminal, you can list the dynamic dependencies of urw like this:

Code: [Select]
ldd /usr/bin/urw3-bin

On some systems, urw might be installed in /opt instead. In that case, do
ldd /opt/urw3/urw3-bin
I'm using a different kind of linux, so your results will be a little different frmo mine, but on my computer it looks like this:

$ ldd /usr/bin/urw3-bin
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fffdff96000)
        libSDL2-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f4a27ebb000)
        libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f4a27e73000)
        libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL2_image-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f4a27e53000)
        libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL2_net-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f4a27e4c000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f4a27c15000)
        libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f4a27b2d000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f4a27b0b000)
        libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f4a27924000)
        libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f4a278eb000)
        libjxl.so.0.7 => /usr/lib/libjxl.so.0.7 (0x00007f4a275e6000)
        libjpeg.so.8 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8 (0x00007f4a27563000)
        libtiff.so.5 => /usr/lib/libtiff.so.5 (0x00007f4a274ce000)
        libwebp.so.7 => /usr/lib/libwebp.so.7 (0x00007f4a2745b000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 => /usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f4a32e17000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007f4a27441000)
        libbrotlidec.so.1 => /usr/lib/libbrotlidec.so.1 (0x00007f4a27433000)
        libhwy.so.1 => /usr/lib/libhwy.so.1 (0x00007f4a27428000)
        libbrotlienc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libbrotlienc.so.1 (0x00007f4a27384000)
        libzstd.so.1 => /usr/lib/libzstd.so.1 (0x00007f4a272d9000)
        liblzma.so.5 => /usr/lib/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007f4a272af000)
        libbrotlicommon.so.1 => /usr/lib/libbrotlicommon.so.1 (0x00007f4a2728c000).

It sounds like one of these is missing on your system. If you post the output of ldd, we can probably figure it out which one

LuchyMane

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 04:16:22 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, life got in the way!

So I did that, but I got the exact same result as the first time, word for word-or I guess character for character.

Erkka

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 09:56:49 AM »
I did that

I think Plotinus is suggesting that in addition to running the said ldd command on your terminal, you'd also post a copypaste of the output here in the forums so that other linux users could help you to figure out how to resolve possible issues with dependencies.
UnReal World co-designer, also working on a small side project called Ancient Savo

ineedcords

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 11:31:23 AM »
So first off... ..I'm not Ubuntu literate enough to really understand what I need to do.
...It sounds like one of these is missing on your system. If you post the output of ldd, we can probably figure it out which one
I think Plotinus is suggesting that in addition to running the said ldd command on your terminal, you'd also post a copypaste of the output here in the forums so that other linux users could help you to figure out how to resolve possible issues with dependencies.
Good suggestion! Perhaps just do that, run ldd (as per Plotinus' example) and copy & paste the output here to get assistance.
While doing so, if you can kindly put the pasted ldd output in code brackets, it would particularly please me, like so:     [codee] your pasted text here [/codee]
Note that I used double 'ee' for the demonstration but you should use single 'e'...

If you installed the O/S just few months ago (presumably from a recent source) then this is a low success chance suggestion but because it is also a low effort one, I will suggest it...
Before doing the ldd suggestion mentioned above, perhaps try O/S update which can help get rid of bugs.
If you have not done so before see updating Ubuntu, here: https://itsfoss.com/update-ubuntu/

Edit: typo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:52:02 AM by ineedcords »
This could be a good day to utilize your squirrels hides.

LuchyMane

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 11:52:12 PM »
You're both right, I should have included the code to make what I meant clearer. It was dumb to not include it, sorry about that.

ldd /usr/bin/urw3-bin
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-version.c: 204: _dl_check_map_versions: Assertion `needed != NULL' failed!

So as you can see, I got the exact same result-it didn't list anything. I doublechecked with whereis urw3-bin to make sure it was the proper directory and reread Plotinus' post twice to make sure I didn't miss anything, but still nothing.

Regarding updating, I actually did that just before my initial post for unrelated reasons but I just tried again-there were a handful of updates but still nothing.

ineedcords

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 03:03:27 AM »
Regarding updating, I actually did that just before my initial post for unrelated reasons but I just tried again-there were a handful of updates but still nothing.
OK thanks for following up.

I checked the binary of the free-but-older-version of the game v.3.63 tonight, and after investigating it, I realized in this particular case, ldd output, at least the default output as we suggested/repeated earlier wouldn't have mattered. Still good advice for most other cases. Your post too demonstrates the fact that, ldd is not spitting out what UrW needs.
While it is possible to make ldd tell us more with extra parameters, probably not needed at this stage.

Instead, please try these below, and when prompted, just press Y and accept the disk cost & let apt auto-install any dependencies, as usual.

EDIT: Actually, I need to clarify that this is written for and tested on Ubuntu latest LTS Desktop 22.04 and UrW 3.63 (free-but-outdated) version and tested only on this version.
If you are however on the latest and greatest version of this game (v.3.72) let us know.

1. Install the SDL2 library components:
apt install libsdl2-2.0-0 libsdl2-image-2.0-0 libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 libsdl2-net-2.0-0
2. Also install this audio dev lib:
apt install libjack-dev
Then open the console and type "urw" and let us know the outcome. If this does not work we will need more info from system.

Edit: clarified on what OS/Game versions this suggestion was tested on.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 11:08:02 PM by ineedcords »

LuchyMane

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 10:48:20 PM »
I am on 3.63, and it's now running perfectly! Everything in the first command was already installed but the second needed installation.

Thank you very much for your help!

ineedcords

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 11:17:06 PM »
I am on 3.63, and it's now running perfectly! Everything in the first command was already installed but the second needed installation.

Thank you very much for your help!
I am very glad to hear that, and thanks for letting us know. Now, finally enjoy the great game! :)

On another note, as you might noticed, I've modified the thread subject and prefixed it [SOLVED] so that it's clearer to any board browsers.
Accurate information is good for future search results & external search engine hits too.

Edit: Just sharing as a FYI... I took the commands I used for this issue, cleaned up the notes a bit, combined with the general methodology notes & put them all in a rough guide post, as linked below. It might be of use later, for a future version, or even for another software/game.

[GUIDE] Unreal World Outdated Free Version On Modern Ubuntu Linux
https://www.unrealworld.fi/forums/index.php?topic=6878.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:58:17 PM by ineedcords »

LuchyMane

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 11:15:24 PM »
Whoops, I haven't really used forums since like 2005 and forgot I was the one who had to edit the title. Thanks for any future people in need for making the guide!

Although I gotta ask for more help-everything was fine and I spent a couple hours making a trap fence, fishing and building a house for winter. Lots of fun, but then when I next launched the game my laptop shut down within a minute. I fiddled with the laptop a bit and it worked after a third attempt so I just kinda forgot about it. Now it's happening again: every time I launch Unreal World, the entire laptop dies within 20 and 60 seconds of opening Unreal World no matter what I do.

I tried searching for this issue but got no hits, and did some experimenting. It shut down in the same way with no noticeable pattern to how long it took whether I waited on the menu, I jumped into the game or tried creating a character. I launched with the terminal and waited for the crash but absolutely no unusual messages popped up before the crash. Ran Dwarf Fortress and cheated myself to a full fortress of dwarves to see if that would do anything, and it ran fine while I did RL chores.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:18:22 PM by LuchyMane »

ineedcords

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 11:36:04 PM »
Whoops, I haven't really used forums since like 2005 and forgot I was the one who had to edit the title. Thanks for any future people in need for making the guide!

Although I gotta ask for more help-everything was fine and I spent a couple hours making a trap fence, fishing and building a house for winter. Lots of fun, but then when I next launched the game my laptop shut down within a minute. I fiddled with the laptop a bit and it worked after a third attempt so I just kinda forgot about it. Now it's happening again: every time I launch Unreal World, the entire laptop dies within 20 and 60 seconds of opening Unreal World no matter what I do.

I tried searching for this issue but got no hits, and did some experimenting. It shut down in the same way with no noticeable pattern to how long it took whether I waited on the menu, I jumped into the game or tried creating a character. I launched with the terminal and waited for the crash but absolutely no unusual messages popped up before the crash. Ran Dwarf Fortress and cheated myself to a full fortress of dwarves to see if that would do anything, and it ran fine while I did RL chores.
As this is an edge case, and due to low PC issues-related traffic volume here (and low traffic volume overall) you are much more likely to get quick help outside this forum.
I would suggest looking at existing posts in a PC support forum such as these few below, failing that, posting in a large one, on one of those PC hardware forums.
https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/laptop-shuts-down-when-playing-games.368685/
https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/laptop-shutdown-while-gaming-2nd-display-lid-is-closed.464521/

Alternatively, you could try posting in this forum, but as a new thread, under the Off-topic board, after providing your system hardware and software details and some of us can try and help.

As quick hints:
* In general PC unexpected shutdown issues are due to built-in thermal protection so it gets hot, shuts down to protect against potential damage.
* Ubuntu system general log and temperature related logs you can check also, see this post: https://superuser.com/a/67327
* If you have not done so a good start is updating the PCs BIOS (assuming there is an update available) because sometimes manufacturers fix these isues after sale but you may not have installed the "fix" yet by not updating the BIOS.
* Ensure you read all documentation thoroughly before you attempt any BIOS updates as it is the one area of PC in which software update can brick your device (see: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/BIOS-update-bricked-my-laptop/td-p/7289344 ).