Topic: Is injury >100% supposed to guarantee death?  (Read 3501 times)

jonottawa

« on: January 13, 2022, 02:51:11 AM »
In my current playthrough I received injuries in excess of 100% (104% to be precise)
Spoiler: show
(doing the robbers quest if that matters.)
I got the red screen. Then I regained consciousness (with an injury of 86% displaying.) Is this a bug or is sustaining injuries in excess of 100% not necessarily supposed to be fatal?

PALU

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »
I don't think it's a bug as such. You ought to go unconscious at 100%, and won't be able to move if your fatigue/injury/encumbrance penalties sum up to 100% or more.
If, however, whatever caused the 100%+ injuries doesn't proceed to kill you it ought to be possible to heal and wake up, but if that was the case you'd have to have been unconscious for a day (past the next morning day turn over), in which case you'd be very hungry and very thirsty.

Are you sure it was the injuries that were over 100%, rather than the total penalties? It's certainly possible to have penalties above 100% and thus be unable to move, but still remain conscious (for a little while). If you wake up with 86% injuries that ought to be what you received, with the remainder stemming from encumbrance (some of which the robbers probably relieved you of) and fatigue (you probably fought them).

jonottawa

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
Are you sure it was the injuries that were over 100%, rather than the total penalties?
https://youtu.be/3BhC-SyhRv0?t=3160

Plotinus

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
Injuries over 100% normally guarantee death but the robbers thing is designed to always be nonfatal, so your injuries are reduced before you wake up.

jonottawa

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 10:46:35 PM »
Injuries over 100% normally guarantee death but the robbers thing is designed to always be nonfatal, so your injuries are reduced before you wake up.
That's what I surmised as well. So should I feel greasy about continuing to play this character or not?

Acolyte

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 07:25:49 AM »
Unless Sami is deviating quite far from the HarnMaster ruleset (which URW is based on) 100% injury is not death. You can die from a lot less or can take a lot more.

The individual injury is what determines whether you die from it. A bunch of small injuries is typically survivable so long as there is no bleeding, no matter what percentage it goes up to, although remaining conscious becomes much, much more difficult. Conversely, one very serious injury to a vital part is the end, possibly less if there's bleeding.

What may have happened is that you went unconscious for long enough that the morning rolled around and you healed. I'll take a look later.

- Shane

Acolyte

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 08:29:46 AM »
That's what I surmised as well. So should I feel greasy about continuing to play this character or not?

You should continue to play this character.

Take a look at your injuries - I saw 2 or 3 serious ones and all the rest were minor. Anything under 10% penalty is a minor injury 11% to 20% would be serious injuries. Not sure if this game has grievous injuries but they'd be 21% to 30% penalty and you didn't take any of those. Grievous injuries kill - everything else seems to heal. You where also not bleeding, which can be fatal.

Not sure why you healed a bunch, though, as not much time passed. Perhaps the robbers didn't want to be known as murderers and patched you up?  :-\

Anyway, this rather epic bit of combat wouldn't have been fatal. You really did mulch a bunch of those guys didn't you.  ;D

- Shane