Topic: How to check if item limit is reached?  (Read 3879 times)

werepacman

« on: January 04, 2022, 05:21:11 AM »
What is the message to look at msglog.txt?

I decided to stay near settlement during first winter and forgot about item limit.
This settlement is very close to another one.
Now Items started to disappear despite it is only beginning of the game.
Can hare eat yarn?

Plotinus

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 08:04:54 AM »
The message in the game is unmistakeable, it requires you to press space and it appears every few seconds. It starts appearing long before the items actually disappear.

The message to look for is:
"Whoa, items all over the place! Hoard wisely and spread your stuff over a larger area."

If you are within 3 worldmap tiles of a village, it's possible that people are picking up your stuff or that they are being incorrectly marked as village property. This isn't supposed to happen, and it doesn't if you just leave a few items near a village, but if you have a lot of stuff then I guess the game can get confused about it.

There could also be robbers, but you'd see footpritns and they'll approached you and start a fight.

PALU

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »
Yarn is newly introduced, so weird behavior with animals eating it cannot be completely ruled out, but if it happens it would be a bug.

werepacman

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 01:59:37 PM »
I have old save.
I add pictture of my current settlement.

Turnip disappeared but traps are not trigered.
Inside the fence disapeared 3 baskets of seeds traps also not triggered.
Few yarns disappeared from punt.

So it seems it is humans? They can get behind the fence?
What if I build a house with wall to prevent stealing can they open the door?

PALU

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 04:57:22 PM »
Humans can climb fences and open doors, yes. They can also pass traps without triggering them as well as intentionally disable them (the latter is something I've only seen Njerps do, although I assume robbers would as well).

werepacman

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 04:39:51 AM »
What to do to save your items?

Put few tiles away.
Put traps around items so there is no way to come closer? But they can disassamble traps.

PALU

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 10:27:40 AM »
Don't settle too close to existing settlements.

Trap lines are detected by humans, so they can bypass those. Trap "mine fields" might work, but note that they'll get friendlies too (I've gotten one foreign trader (killed) and one stupid character who first cut down trees in my trap line, and then proceeded with stepping into one of the traps he could no longer see because the trees formed part of the line. It took him several months to recover, all the while claiming everything was fine).

Robbers and Njerps will get in and take your stuff if they get close enough, unless you're on a small island, but once they've loaded themselves up they get slowed down by all that encumbrance...

I don't think friendlies have ever stolen anything from me, so if you refrain from settling on their territory (i.e. within 3 or so tiles of settlements: the rest of the cultural areas is fine), you shouldn't have any trouble.
I've seen reports of friendlies stealing kills from traps, but that ought to be chalked down do artificial stupidity.

werepacman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 09:04:42 PM »
I don't see those items in any hose or any npc carrying it.

JP_Finn

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 08:27:33 AM »
What to do to save your items?

Put few tiles away.
Put traps around items so there is no way to come closer? But they can disassamble traps.

Skerry in rapids, set an oversized (bear) trap on it.
Animals seem to avoid heavier than their own “class” traps (except pit traps). And only creatures getting on skerries would be birds or seals.
Other option is to build 3x3 log cabin* with all walls, no door. You’ll need to disassemble and rebuild a wall section to access stored goods.

*you could search for a cave with 1tile access and block that with log wall, if combined with elevation change on both sides, you could climb into the wall, from both sides. Glitchy, but no NPC nor critter should get to your goods. Or if one would spawn inside the cave, they couldn’t leave.

Evuul

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 11:47:57 AM »
I have old save.
I add pictture of my current settlement.

Turnip disappeared but traps are not trigered.
Inside the fence disapeared 3 baskets of seeds traps also not triggered.
Few yarns disappeared from punt.

So it seems it is humans? They can get behind the fence?
What if I build a house with wall to prevent stealing can they open the door?

Just for sharing the idea, I protect my cellars with layer of little traps, in which case i'll now who picked them at least (humans never happened),
and then heavier traps for the pen.

anything