Topic: Acquiring Yarn in the North  (Read 3058 times)

Zachh

« on: October 18, 2021, 10:32:31 PM »
Hello, my character seems to have run into a problem. I am wanting to acquire yarn in order to craft some blunt arrows, but I don’t believe nettle, hemp, or flax grow in the northern territories that I am in. Additionally, I had started my world before the recent update so none of the surrounding villages have yarn to trade with me. Is there anything I can do to get yarn? Do I have to go on a journey south to find it? Also, I wonder why blunt arrows require yarn if there is no arrowhead to attach. Thanks for any help!

PALU

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:20:32 AM »
I believe blunt arrows do have a head, but it's a "lump" rather than a point. That serves both to increase the weight of the arrow and to enlarge the surface area of the "point". Even a naked shaft would probably cause penetration.

Can't answer the real questions, though...

I believe the game allows you to farm plants (that can be farmed) outside of their native range, so it ought to be possible to acquire seeds for these plants in the south and then use them on farm plots in the north. That obviously takes a long time, though, given how long it takes for plants to grow, so that would be a possible long term solution.

Tinker

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
Updating a save to 3.70 will produce the anomaly that villages are not stocked initially with new products, like yarn. But they will start to have these items as their stocks get recalculated over time. I am not sure if initial stocks are set at world generation or on first visit, it might be worthwhile finding a new village in the north before trying to travel south.

JP_Finn

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:25:58 PM »
Village stocks are generated on first visit, so finding an unvisited village could prove fruitful in acquiring yarn.

Zachh

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »
Village stocks are generated on first visit, so finding an unvisited village could prove fruitful in acquiring yarn.

This worked! I looked around for an undiscovered village and the one I found had yarn I could trade. Thanks for the help!

anything